Publication?

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

LisaBoyer

Is there a magazine, or online site that will give me a directory of parks, what they allow, size of lots, etc?? We are getting ready to list our home on the market and relocate to a nicer park, but, with 2 med size dogs, I need the largest lot I can get. I also need to find out about pet restrictions. I've made myself dizzy trying to do this on the internet with Google...and I'm no further along. Please tell me there is an easier way to find out this information!

Lisa
1987Commodore

I doubt it. Figure most parks are owned by an individual, so there's not likely to be an associated web presence. The easiest way would be to drive around the area to which you want to relocate, and stop at a decent looking park and inquire as to who owns it. Contact the owner, and, if they can't help you, they'll likely know other owners in the area to contact.
You could use Google Earth, or similar, to spot potential parks from the air to get an idea of location and layout.
Greg

Rather than contact the owner, once you find a park talk to the residents. They will give you a better idea of what REALLY goes on. Few owners actually LIVE in their parks and have no clue what goes on when their are not around. We just moved from one after 22 years that the owner would have you believe was the greatest place on earth (except for the neighbor that sells drugs, steals and pulled a gun on my wife) so take what the owner tells you with a grain of salt.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
SoFlorida

Where I am moving to it's owned by a company who owns many different mobile home sites. They allow any size dogs, but have breed restrictions on Pitbulls, Rotties (which is a shame, the most loving and well behaved dog I ever met that a friend of mine had was a Rottie) or other breeds considered dangerous.

Also our Property manager is also the sales person. If you go in they should be able to tell you the info. Although I did go to one place that had two people in the office and neither of them knew how much the lot rent was. :roll:

MH village has some info on parks, if you like one you can always call and ask further info.
SoFlorida

Greg wrote:Rather than contact the owner, once you find a park talk to the residents. They will give you a better idea of what REALLY goes on. Few owners actually LIVE in their parks and have no clue what goes on when their are not around. We just moved from one after 22 years that the owner would have you believe was the greatest place on earth (except for the neighbor that sells drugs, steals and pulled a gun on my wife) so take what the owner tells you with a grain of salt.

Greg
I agree as long as it's not gated and you can drive around ask someone who is walking their dog.

About bad neighbors, I'm moving into a place where they do a criminal background check so that helps to keep some riffraff out.
Greg

Greg[/quote]

I agree as long as it's not gated and you can drive around ask someone who is walking their dog.

About bad neighbors, I'm moving into a place where they do a criminal background check so that helps to keep some riffraff out.[/quote]

They "Claimed" to do a background check, but this guy had lived there 10 years with no problems. He went out on disability and changed overnight. There were 5 (that I personally know of) written complaints, at least 3 police reports and an arrest prior to him pulling a gun. But it is a "nice quiet park" just ask the owner.

The drug task force is constantly in there also.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Norm Frechette

every park is different as is every park owner/manager

just because one park has a less than desirable manager should not be construde as every manager is the same and should also be not construde as all residents will be the same.

the park my father lives in (55 & over community) is very well run and maintained by the park owner and her family. the owner drives around at least once a day to make sure things are OK. the management does not allow solicitors or unlicensed contractors to work on any mobile home. they have certain contractors that residents can call for repairs. this park pull out the aging homes as they are vacated, pours a new flat cement slab and brings in new homes to fill that slot.

they have a cat policy but do not allow dogs of any size or breed.

the park i live in is also well maintained by the management. sometimes a little slow on the snow removal from the streets and sometimes slower with heavy snowstorms.

i'm pretty sure my park mangement performed at least a finacial background check on me before i actually moved in. it must have been ok as i have been there 5 years and no one has kicked me out yet! :)

each home is on a cycle of septic tank cleaning.

there is no cat policy and there are numerous feral cats that heve been fed by residents so they stick around like glue. unfortunately they allow dogs and owners pay $10 more per dog each month. right now there is a visious gnarling barking black lab next door and a yapping chihuahua/scottie mix plus some kind of squaking bird that stays inside. :evil:

on the other side of my home, the owners used to have 2 well behaved pit bulls that wanted to lick you all over. they were very friendly but extremely strong dogs. they are now long gone to a newer home with a large yard for them to roam.

SoFlorida,

my recommendation would be to speak to the owner/manager on their park restrictions. the residents have no say in allowing you into the park. some folks may have animals that are grandfathered in and new residents may not have the luxury of bringing in new pets. i wish that was the case at where i live, especially for dogs.
Greg S

The quality of a park is dependant on the residents. Drive through the parks and take a close look at the upkeep of all the lots. You will always have a few below standard but that is unavoidable. The reality is that to have a quality park the owner must stringently enforce all park rules but the residents must have the social standards to respect those rules otherwise the owner will soon give up trying to maintain the standard and the property will quickly go to h**l. The owner and all the residents must share responsibility for the quality of the community.
The present residents are the ones you must talk to in order to determine the quality of the community.
Owners come and go but the residents maintain the standards. If there is a bad resident the other residents can take action to insure they move along however it rarely happens as most people do not want to get personally involved in their community. They prefer to dump the problems on the present owner/manager. Owners are simply temporary custodians of a property. Residents need to take responsibility for the standards of their community.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)