Window Screens

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

SoFlorida

I'm moving into an older mobile home, most of the windows are crank slats, but I have one double window in the living room area that will fit an AC luckily.

The problem is that the screen seems fixed and cannot be taken off or moved up. Is it possible that it was made like that or am I missing the way to move it? I may have to cut through the mesh to get my AC in otherwise.
ponch37300

Can you post a picture of it from the outside and inside? I personally haven't come across a screen that can't come out. Some slide up slightly and will push out or pull in. Some have little metal clips on the inside of it on the sides. But there should be a way to get it out.
SoFlorida

I will try to get a picture of it later. I am not there now, I am still working on fixing up the place, I have not moved in yet.
ponch37300

Search around and see if you can find any "secret" clips or ways to move the screen to get it out.
Greg

Many screens have side clips or some had spring loaded pins. A few had spring loaded tops, so you would push them up and push out at the bottom to remove them.

As ponch said if you can snap a few pictures that would help us.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I have seen windows on older homes that have the grooves for the screen spline built into the aluminum frame of the window. The screen are installed onto the window itself an not into a screen frame. If this is the case, you may be able to jerryrig a single screen frame piece over the top of the AC when it is installed, to make a place for the bottom of the screen to attach to.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
SoFlorida

This is from the outside

The pics are big, sorry, pan down to see the corners.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SoFlorida

This is the inside
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

They almost look like the style that pushes up and then out at the bottom.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

I would agree with Greg, Slide up and out. They can be tight sometimes to get loose.

Ron
1987Commodore

Yep, slide up then tilt out at the bottom. If it is tight, gently pry up on the plastic corner pieces with a screwdriver. If you happen to break one, repair pieces are readily available.That raised center piece you see on the sill is what holds it in. They are spring loaded at top.
I completely reconstructed all of mine about 3 years ago.
SoFlorida

thanks for the answers, I'm home now in the apartment so I can't do it now, but do you guys mean from the outside or from the inside?
1987Commodore

It would probably be easier from the outside, but can be done either way.
SoFlorida

Thanks guys, I had a handyman come in and install my ACs and he showed me that the clips were one top, or installed upside down.