water heater replacement

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

KLBoldon

Well I was going to replace the drywall access panel to my electric water heater with an actual door, and this is what i found...

It appears as though the water heater is rusting out. I am not 100% because I am not educated on matters like this, so any advice is going to be helpful. Water is not puddling, but there is moisture underneath the unit, on the floor around and creeping up the drywall to the left there.

On the other side of the drywall is the laundry hookups, and I always thought the water damage on the drywall was from those leaking. (is a small drip from the cold water connection when the water is on. I havn't replaced them yet, but we keep it off when not doing laundry and place a towel to catch the drip when it is on and we are doing laundry.)

But now that i see water underneath the water heater, i feel the damage is from the water heater...Damage is not extensive, from what i can see. But it appears as though it could be getting worse.

Any trouble shooting advice to be sure its the hot water heater and not the hook-ups?

If it is the water heater, what replacement options do i have? Its electric, but could i go gas tankless? It would have to be MH approved from what i have searched on this site...any recomendations on brands or how to find a MH approved tankless?

Ugh...really didnt want to have to spend money on this with our master bath remodel underway....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KLBoldon

Well doing some quick research it appears I could get an electric tankless as a replacement. That would save costs of having to contract out getting a gas line and venting installed. Anyone have any experience with an electric tankless? and would there need to be any MH approval for those to be aware of?
Greg

You can install ANY type of Electric unit without having a MH approval issue. The problems you might have is the Physical size of the unit fitting where you want it and electric service to the unit.

Since you already have an electric unit, it would be cheaper & easier to stay with one. You may need to extend the hook up pipes some since most original mobile units are connected on the sides and replacement units (for stick built homes) are connected at the top. The physical size may be slightly different so measure things up before you buy, other than that it will work fine. Consider setting it in a drip pan also.

Gas units MUST be mobile home approved.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
KLBoldon

Thanks Greg, I appreciate the comment and advice!
KLBoldon

I had an uncle stop by, he is a master plumber, to check out the water heater. He thinks the water is condensation build-up. He opened up both thermostats and showed me some of what he believed to be condensation.

Has anyone else had a condensation problem with their hot water heater in the winter? I did some quick research and some mentioned it could be from extreme cold water entering the hot water heater. We are on a well out here and the water is very, very cold this time of year.

Could this be my issue? What can I do to fix it?
Greg

It may be condensation, I think I would drain the heater (shut it off first) and place a drip pan under it. That should tell you for sure if it is a continuous leak or just condensation, Plus help protect the floor.

Greg
Greg S

Get the black/grey foam tubes for insulating water pipes and place it around the cold water line. If condensation is from the cold line this will stop it from happening. If it is the tank I would also advise replacing it with a conventional electric hot water tank. On demand heaters do not work well on well systems and initial cost plus high cost of replacement parts do not make them cost efficient.
The pay back period is too long to warrant there use in my opinion.
Get yourself a new hose washer and fix the laundry leak while you are at the store buying the water pipe insulation.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
KLBoldon

I've also read that a water heater insulation jacket would help with condensation. Is that overkill? Maybe ill just buy the pipe jackets first and the drip pan.

Yeah - the on demand route is no longer an option. If I went gas, I would have to run a gas line and new venting. If i stayed with electrical, I would have to run 6 Ga. wire and install to 60A breakers..And like you said, greg s, run the risk of not getting warm water because well water starts out so cold in the winters..
Greg S

The problem with the on demand heaters is not the temp of the cold water it is the fact that many will shut off if the water pressure drops below 30psi.

The tank jacket will have no effect on condensation they are only used to help keep the water in the tank hot longer.
The condensation is a direct result of moisture laden air in contact with the cold surface of the water pipe. The foam pipe insulation prevents this from happening.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
KLBoldon

But the condensation is on the inside of the water heater, not the pipes
Greg S

I am not sure what you mean by "inside the water heater" but I can assure you that condensation can not form on a warm surface, or even a surface at room temp. The temperature of the surface must be below the temp of the air in order for moisture to be released forming condensation.

You have a water leak if it is inside the tank.
KLBoldon

I recently (month or so ago) found a draft in the back entrance. the floor is cold, and cold air comes in through the areas by the pipes. The water heater is feeling the draft, so the outside of it is cold to touch...so if the outside is cold and the inside is warm - would that not cause condensation on the inside then?
jpingram5

No, you shouldn't have condensation forming on the tank. I've seen tanks condensate before but usually when you first fill them up with cold water. The tank should be insulated with 2" Foam or better. I would bet it could be coming from the pipes. Otherwise you have a leak. How old is this water heater? Could have a small leak if the bottom is rusting out.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
KLBoldon

14-17 yrs old. When the plate for the upper thermostat was removed, there was condensate behind the plate there and on the back of the fiberglass insulation block behind the panel. So if it is leaking, it isn't from the bottom rusting out.
Greg

At that age it's not worth messing with, change it and have peace of mind.

Greg