Insulating water line

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

oldtimer

Has anyone ever tried putting their waterline with heat tape and pipe insulation inside pvc pipe for added protection against freezing. This summer I'm gonna re make a waterline that will not freeze.
I'm looking for ideas.
Thanks
God Bless +
Thank you
God Bless
Greg

Unless you are thinking of around a 4" pipe filled with insulation I can't see how the PVC pipe would help. If you are just filling the pipe with insulation, a few sections of stove pipe may be easier to work with.

I have heard of running the waterline through a flexible heat duct and tying into the main furnace duct so it is heated.

Insulated skirting will also be a big help.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
oldtimer

My line now is wrapped in pipe insulation with heat tape inside of the insulation. I just thought sticking it all inside a pvc might give it some added protection !!
Thank you
God Bless
DaleM

If you are using the old style rolled fiberglass insulation then the pvc would help keep critters from tearing it up as well as keep it from getting wet. That crappy plastic wrap they give you with the roll is a joke to work with. Most of us in the industry use closed cell foam insulation tubes sized correctly for the water line with heat cable on it. Those need nothing else over them unless outside of the skirting. Helps to put something protective on that section, lawn services are rough on them in the summer with weed trimmers.
oldtimer

So yer saying all I should need is heat tape then pipe insulation tubes and thats should be it?
It' all under the home with skirting. I know skirting makes a heck of a diference. A couple weeks ago we had a storm that blew down half of my skirting and I figure we are gonna move the home in a few weeks so I took it all down. When we put the dogs plate on the floor and pick it up at night the bottom of the plate is freezing. I have carpeting too !
Also is it best to keep the line off the ground by hanging it or let it lay !!
Thanks
God Bless +
Thank you
God Bless
Greg

If you can plan it right, you could bury it and only have the short section between the ground and the home exposed. you could use PVC as a conduit in the ground, wrap the water line with heat tape & insulation then slide it through the pipe (in the ground) to your shutoff/connection pit. the pipe would only need to be a few inches below ground and be protected.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."