Leaking water overflow drain

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rainbo5757

I have been having an issue with what I have been told is the water overflow pipe constantly leaking water since I moved in May of 2012. The pipe is 1 1/2' - 2' above ground and is approximately 15' - 20' from the home. I have a constant mini swamp around this pipe and since the weather has gotten colder, I now have a miniture iceberg building around the tube. When the temp. dropped into single digits twice in the past week, I noticed the water was rust colored when I flushed the toilets or turned on the water in the morning. It does clear if I let the water run and flush the toilets numerous times to get clear water.
I have been told by the park manager and her maintenance man that this is normal that this so called water overflow pipe leaks when I have brought this to their attention a few times during warmer weather. I have driven around the park and have yet to see any of the other water overflow pipes with ice build up around them.
My neighbor informed me I should not have standing water around this pipe, but cannot get a straight answer from the manager or maintenace man, other than as I stated before this is nromal.
I have tried looking on the Internet about this type of issue and have not found a thing that I will point me in the right direction on getting it fixed, whether I am responsible to fix it or if the park is responsible since the park maintains the water from the city once inside the park.
I did have the mobile home inspected prior to winter to ensure the underbelly was intacted and had some openings repaired and also had the heat tape inspected required around the water line. I also ensured there were no further water leaks while it was getting prepped for winter.
I would greatly appreciate any help, suggestions or ideas on how I can get this resolved.
I was given the mobile home due to the condition it was left in by the previous person and it has been one issue after another and even though I am slowly making progress getting the home back into shape, but I don't want this to end up being a "Money Pit".
Again thanks for any help or suggestions.
jpingram5

I'm not 100% sure what you are talking about. You say when flushing the toilets or running water it clears up out there? Sounds like a sewer line I'm guessing. Got any pictures you could possibly throw up here?
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
Greg

Is this on the fresh water side of the system or a waste line going to the sewer? If it is on the sewer side it may be some type of vent indicating a blockage somewhere.

I'm having a tough time visualizing this too.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
rainbo5757

Sorry for the delay in getting back. Been raining the past few days and the iceberg has melted away from the overflow tube. From what I could find out, this is on the sewer side. I have an emergency shutoff valve for the fresh water located underneath the stairs going up the deck.
From what I can tell, when water is leaking from what I was told was the water overflow pipe, it is coming out of the seam of the tube about 1/2 way down from the top. I attached a picture I was finally able to download and put red arrows as to where it leaks. Hopefully you'll be able to open it and get an idea of what I am talking about.
I am new to dealing with issues with mobile homes and I am finding out some things that need repaired are not like repairing in a house or apartment.
I have not had any issues with any drains backing up or draining slow or with ther toilets until as I stated in my previous email when the temp dropped a couple of times into single digits that I did notice rust colored water until I let the water run and flushed the toliets till they were clear.
Could it be that all I may need to do is have the pipe resealed where it leaks at the seal? I did find out the previous guy living here did back a trailer into the pipe when he packed up to leave.
I do appreciate the help since I am a newbie to mobile home living and trying to not have to spend $$$money to have this dug up if I can avoid it. It may have been given to me for free, but having second thoughts on taking it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

That looks to me like a well head. If so there is a pump at the bottom and pipe or plastic tube coming up. I would guess that there is a leak in the tube. I would suspect that your home is not the only one connected to the well since you are in a park. I also find it strange that the park is not worried about it since if it is a well the pump would be running much more than normal.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
rainbo5757

Thanks for the input Greg. I will run this by the park manager once again. I seriously believe she has no clue concerning this and neither does the so called maintenance man. To me, I should not have standing water to the point of sinking into the ground when I walk on the right side of the tube. The ground is so wet, where there should be dirt or soil, it is slimy muck. (The rocks you see in the picture are ones I have pulled up from the muck that had sunk down around the tube).
I did tell her at one point if I have to fix it, I will either fill it with sand or cement since I know this is not normal to be leaking and she almost fell out of her chair and told me I cannot do that.
May need to get the corporate office involved if I cannot get this resolved locally, since I do believe it would be the parks responsibility to have this repaired.
Again, thanks for your input.
ponch37300

The picture is a little blury. Can you take the cap off and see what is inside of it? It doesn't look like a standard well cap like we have around here but I'm sure that can vary from place to place. What diameter is the pipe? Looks to be 4-6" which very well could be a well casing. If you can open the top somehow and see a smaller plastic pipe most likely black running down it and then going into the ground horizontally out of the pipe about 1-6' below ground level it is a well. If you live in a MH park can you see any others on neighbor's lots? Do you know if you are on city or well water? Maybe you can ask other neighbors if they know what it is?
UmpJJ

You haven't described where the pipe is located in the yard, but you might mention to management that if it's in a common area there certainly could be liability involved if the ground stays wet/muddy/unstable/frozen. That might generate some response to the problem.

UmpJJ
jpingram5

Any update on this you could give us? Just interested in what the pipe is exactly and what the problem was. I do not think that would be something with your sewer seeing as it is above ground and you say it leaks water so that would lead me to believe you have sewer backing up. I wonder if that was for an old water riser that use to be for another home and the glue didn't seal right on it.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80