1st real project in 1998 DoubleWide

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Bullitt5339

My wife and I bought a 28x72 DoubleWide for a pretty good price on 2 acres of land, and we are slowly renovating it. It was not well cared for over the years before we bought it, and it doesn't appear to have any "upgrades" when it was purchased, so everything is very basic. Cardboard trim that is falling off and ugly wall boards. We started by painting the living room and dining room a nice satin grey, and then I went nuts with some projects.

I have never done any kind of work on construction projects, so most of this I'm figuring out as I'm going along. I finished putting up crown molding, baseboards and a new chair rail to replace all the cardboard stuff this weekend. I also rebuilt the little cut-through that goes into the den. Before it was just a basic box and I had to dress it up a bit. It was a learning experience, but came out pretty nicely. The only thing I didn't get to finish was the casing around the windows. I forgot to buy enough casing, and wasn't going the 15 miles back to Lowes to pick more up tonight.

I'm pretty happy with it, but my wife is ecstatic and absolutely loves it. The only problem is that I think she has more confidence in my abilities than I do now. I think I just got lucky for the most part.

After I get the living room all trimmed out, I am going to teach myself how to put in laminate flooring. I hear it's not hard and that if I could figure out crown on my own, it'll be a piece of cake. Why does it seem that they put dark green ugly carpet in every late 90's Mobile Home?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

Looks good!! Confidence will come with time, as long as you are not too proud to ask for help you will be fine. I've been doing this for 20 years and there are still times that I ask for a second opinion. I have found that it is much easier to change the plan around BEFORE you build it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

It looks great and crown molding is not easy to figure out. Yeah, the Hunter green years...
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
LisaBoyer

I'd take hunter green over pink, any day of the week....which is what we had in our 95 model...the whole place. Looks awesome!
KLBoldon

haha - my 96 skyline has hints of its past with both hunter green and pink carpeting...found strands of the old stuff when we put in the new :)