STEAMED UP WINDOWS

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

DADDYO

HI , Its winter here,furnace on... this single wide mobile home has all the original windows on the outside with storm windows on the inside. a few months back i bought this, i used the foam weather stripping around the inside storms to seal them at bottom an top.if that matters to this steaming up windows...the steam seems to be on the outside windows but between the windows,not the storm windows that are inside .hope i am explaining them correctly,theres the outside windows on the exterior wall of mh and inside windows i call storms on the interior walls of the mh.. the wife hates this.....what can be done to have clear windows....no steam up..please answer . i appreciate your answers,thanks..
UmpJJ

Replacement windows is your only real guarantee. There's cold air leaking in from the outside and warm humid air getting in between the windows from the inside, and it's really tough to seal those gaps effectively. You might try weather strip tape, but be careful it doesn't peel off the wood trim on the window moulding when you peel it off.

UmpJJ
Greg

The original "Trailer" windows are JUNK!!! Your best bet is to replace them with a quality double hung window. Many people here have tried to get the original type to seal and usually find that it is a lost cause.
There are many threads here about that problem, you could do a search and see what others have tried.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DADDYO

i kinda think that i have the inside storms sealed fairly good, the moisture is proably getting in from the outside original windows...GREG,yes this trailer windows are really cheap junk..and odd sized,odd long 24"x68".i will give it some kinda crazy thinking to make them better without great cost...
I appreciate your answers my friends...
1987Commodore

My windows used to steam up regularly, but they have not for the last three years. What cured it was one of two things, or maybe a combination of both.
First, I installed interior trim moldings around the windows. While I did that, I also ran two beads of caulk around each interior storm, one on the metal flange that is fastened to the wall, and the other on the wall itself so that the molding covered both, and made an air seal because there were large gaps in areas between the flange and the wall.
The second thing that was done at that time (fall 2009) was the installation of a 90% efficient furnace.
Ever since, I have had zero condensation on the windows. I do still get condensation on the storm door when the interior door is opened.
bobfather99

I think your steamed window problem is the cheapy windows. If your budget will allow, replace with better quality ones. In the meantime, seal up what you have as necessary to keep the cold air out, and the warmer air in.
Tip your bartender.....