Window replacement

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

crackur

Ok, I'm in need of some good and sound advice.

I moved into my house about 4-5 years ago and replaced several of the double storm windows throughout this manufactured home. After the continued high bills during the winter I'm thinking it is about time I think about replacing my windows.

I'm looking for others that have replaced their windows with more energy efficient windows (single or double paned).

I have done some research on the lowes and home depot website for the sizing since my windows are 31ishx53ish.

Also, I have a huge bay window and sliding glass doors.....I am going to replace the sliding glass doors with french doors, however, I have no idea how I will replace the huge bay window because of the sizing. Any advice? I believe I lose alot of heat due to having them in the same room.

I appreciate the advice.....sorry it this post is confusing I'm in a hurry but I need advice.
Greg

Doors & window upgrades are always a good idea. Quality windows install the same way in a mobile or stick built home. For a large window or heavy door you may want to add parameter blocking to help support the weight.
There are bay windows that are energy rated.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
bobfather99

Many bay windows are three individual windows setup to look like a bay to save money and weight. Pull off the trim and have a look.
Tip your bartender.....
UmpJJ

I've spent the last couple of weeks window shopping. You can get cheapo vinyl replacements from Window World for "$189 installed". You can get very good Pella double hung low-e windows for $128 (NOT installed) off the shelf at Lowes. And everything in between.
Get the good ones.

UmpJJ
crackur

Yeah it looks like it shouldn't be a problem putting them in, but I'd probably get someone that could get it down quicker than me unless it became too expensive.

Yeah the bay window could possibly be three pieces but it is huge....like 65in or bigger in height and verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry wide.

Yeah I saw some on lowes website. I think I might drop by there in a day or so and look around and see what they have and the prices of being installed.

I just want to make sure I choose a good window in regards to quality and price if I have to pay a lil more but not too much.
Greg S

Cost wise it would probably be less expensive and easier to simply replace the bay with a flat picture window and address the bay support and cosmetics of the outside wall as necessary.
You can simply remove the bay window support and roof and install vinyl siding to cover the reno.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
crackur

well I really don't want to lose it....my 2 yr old loves to stand in it and look outside....we are on a hill and he can see his grandparents come and go from their house over the hill and gets excited hahaha

I don't want to lose any of the window either.......hm I guess I'll have to deal with it and try to reinforce weathering it or get one made some other time.

I would like to address the other though if I can't do them all.
bobfather99

If the bay window is that big, Id say it most likely is three windows built into a "bay" structure. One of my neighbors replaced the wide part of his bay window with two smaller windows, with a piece of wood/vinyl trim in the middle, so the bay has four windows instead of three. It allowed him to use a more common(and cheaper) size window. With a little measuring and a check of common sizes at the store, you can come up with an efficient solution and save a few bucks too.

Don't forget to check your frame out for rot around that window, both in the rough opening and the bay structure. Dont want to put nice new windows in a rotten, sagging, or worn out frame.
Tip your bartender.....
crackur

it is actually 4 windows.......eeek that is why it is soooooooooo big almost room size bay window but it is in a greatroom/living room. I'll take a picture after work of what I'm talking about to help better the advice.

Thanks to all those who responded. I am going to try to go look at some windows tomorrow.
crackur

sorry I haven't replied with a pic but I will, life is hectic hah

I did make it to lowes and looked at some of the windows. I found some that will fit all bedrooms and the office space. I also found some that should fit the kitchen windows.

They are some model by Pella (double). They look as though having moulding already on the window?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_318650-1257-748 ... by%20Pella

what do you guys think?
bobfather99

Any energy efficient window is a improvement over the originals. You will save on heating bills in the future, have a less drafty house, and in some areas might even qualify for a small tax break. Go for it if your budget will allow.
Tip your bartender.....
Greg

All of our's are Pellas. They make a good window, on par with Anderson.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

crackur wrote:sorry I haven't replied with a pic but I will, life is hectic hah

I did make it to lowes and looked at some of the windows. I found some that will fit all bedrooms and the office space. I also found some that should fit the kitchen windows.

They are some model by Pella (double). They look as though having moulding already on the window?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_318650-1257-748 ... by%20Pella

what do you guys think?

They are the new construction type of window. To replace with that type you have to take off some of the siding and then you nail them on and redo the siding. If you are looking at a true replacement window that same series from Pella which is actually Thermostar are available at Lowe's and they are a pretty decent window. I have installed over 100 of the Pella Thermostar brand windows and have not had a callback on any of them.

Ron
oldtimer

I have always wondered isn't the wall thickness thinner than replacement windows you will find at lowes or elsewhere ???
Thanks
God Bless +
Thank you
God Bless
crackur

HouseMedic wrote:

They are the new construction type of window. To replace with that type you have to take off some of the siding and then you nail them on and redo the siding. If you are looking at a true replacement window that same series from Pella which is actually Thermostar are available at Lowe's and they are a pretty decent window. I have installed over 100 of the Pella Thermostar brand windows and have not had a callback on any of them.

Ron
Those are the thermastar but I could not find the exact same style on the website that said REPLACEMENT in the title.

I want them to go in as easy as possible do to not having much time nor money to waste. My wife likes the these. I kinda like them as well. I'll keep searching here.