Bathtub crisis...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LisaBoyer

Hello everyone,

I hope your Holiday Season is being good to you!

Question about bathtubs...the prev owners had hard water and our tub has a large stain (see pic)
The tub also is textured, never seen this before, the floor is cushioned with a textured surface. I have tried Bleach, soaking for days, scrubbing with Comet, using both steel wool and a brush, Oxyclean, Kaboom.....nothing has dented it. I bought LimeAway, but sort of afraid to use it, with the texture and surface.....anyone have a suggestion? Other then replacing the entire tub.
bathtub.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bobfather99

Try CLR or Vinegar. Let it soak for awhile.
Tip your bartender.....
UmpJJ

Fiberglass tub, I assume? Vinegar is your best bet - it works much better than Limeaway. We have very hard well water and I do the tub/shower about once every two weeks.

UmpJJ
LisaBoyer

Sorry for the delay, holiday stuff and all. Vinegar did nothing. I made a paste with Baking Soda after the Vinegar sat for hours, worked that in, then scrubbed with a nylon scrubber, nothing. I even tried steel wool...didn't dent it. I am afraid of CLR, only because this is a textured tub and I have no idea how the harsh chemical will react. Has anyone tried CLR on a textured tub? It doesn't feel hard like a normal fiberglass tub, more squishy and sponge like...with a pebble texture. Sort of makes me glad we have a water purification system, if this is what our water does to the tub!
UmpJJ

1. Cozy up to your favorite grizzled old hometown hardware store guy and ask for suggestions (about the tub problem).
2. Call the Culligan man - water is what they do.
3. Check with a local university extension expert - they have opinions on everything.
4. Google FAQ from water heater manufacturers.
5. Keep the lights off in the bathroom.

UmpJJ
Greg

Since you have tried about everything else, I would bet that the stain is actually IN the fiberglass. You could look into some marine type cleaners or even a paint job other than that, a few more "Extreme" ideas

Sandblaster
Jack hammer
Dynamite

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
LisaBoyer

Best idea yet...a 5.00 bath mat to cover the stain.

I poured CLR on it, let soak for about 30 min, tried scrubbing..nothing. I did notice some scratch marks where the stain is the darkest, so I agree, the stain is inside the coating.

We added it to the list of projects, replacing the tub, after the roof. Thanks for all the suggestions, I tried them all!
Greg

Oh sure, just cover up the problem!!! :lol: :P

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."