Finally set up a transfer switch and got a generator.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Spydrweb1977

We lose power a few times a year, and the most recent 8 day outage post Sandy pushed me to finally set up a transfer switch and generator.

The switch is designed for surface mount, but there is a flush mount kit... For 50 plus bucks... I recessed mounted mine, and will trim it out with something. A full length mirror on hinges goes over the whole area anyway.

I ran 23 feet of liquid tite flexible conduit to the outdoor box and wired it with 8 awg stranded THHN. It is set up for 30 amps, but can be upped to 50 in the future if needed without needing to pull new wire...just swap out the twist lock inlet and I'm good to go. The switch can handle up to an 8000watt continuous rated generator. I currently have a generac rated at 5000 watts continuous.

I get six circuits on the switch, I lose the doorbell, one exterior outlet, the gfi in the bathroom, and the dedicated washer and dryer outlet, and my central a/c. The washer and dryer is no problem because there is a 15 amp outlet immediately to the right of them on another circuit. Only one will be used at a time in a backup situation, so I'll just swap the plugs in an outage, no big deal. With proper load balancing the generac can run my whole place including window a/c units should an outage occur in the heat (as it often does). The key is load balancing, which my transfer switch easily allows.

I am also working on gutting and renovating my 8 x 10 gable shed to house and run the generator. It is going to be insulated, lined with fire rated Sheetrock, and vented by a 1600 cfm exhaust fan. Nothing will be in there except the generator when it is running. Once this is complete, I will extend my inlet box a few more feet so it is in the weather protected shed. I will post pics of that project soon, thought that may have to wait until sometime in the spring.

Greg

What, No doorbell??? But you don't want the neighbors ringing the bell to ask why you have power and they don't.

It sounds like a good set up, but I think I would try to find a way to get the A/C tied in just in case you have an extended outage in the summer with hot weather even if you have to alternate with other loads on the system.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Spydrweb1977

Greg, I may add the central a/c in at some point, but the 5000 watter does not have enough surge to start it. I have two window units, one 12k btu and one 8k. They are enough to cover the main living space and bedroom In a summer power outage situation.
UmpJJ

We did the same thing when we installed solar panels a couple of years ago - they don't generate enough juice to run central a/c or the electric furnace, but will run two window units (5K in the bedroom and 8K in the living room) as well as the lights, the computer, the fridge and the freezer - and a space heater in the winter if needed.
Whatever we don't use every day gets sent back to the utility, so our meter spins backward depending on what we have turned on in the trailer on a sunny day!
Our solar generates about 1/3 of our total monthly usage, and with the government incentives when we put it in we paid about 25% of retail. Our solar guy says prices on solar panels have dropped enough since we installed the system that today it would cost us 10% less than it did then.

UmpJJ
Djstorman

UmpJJ wrote:We did the same thing when we installed solar panels a couple of years ago - they don't generate enough juice to run central a/c or the electric furnace, but will run two window units (5K in the bedroom and 8K in the living room) as well as the lights, the computer, the fridge and the freezer - and a space heater in the winter if needed.
Whatever we don't use every day gets sent back to the utility, so our meter spins backward depending on what we have turned on in the trailer on a sunny day!
Our solar generates about 1/3 of our total monthly usage, and with the government incentives when we put it in we paid about 25% of retail. Our solar guy says prices on solar panels have dropped enough since we installed the system that today it would cost us 10% less than it did then.

UmpJJ
Would love to see that system. In another thread perhaps.

Op that looks great, seems like something I might look into doing once I get done making my place livable.
Greg

Pricing on Solar panels will be something to watch. I read somewhere that the feds have gone after China for dumping products (the panels were one of them) On the US in violation of trade agreements.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."