Today's adventure in mobile home repair!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ponch37300

I had a fan to put up in our bedroom that we bought on sale this past weekend. I put one in our living room a few years ago and they were nice enough to already have a fan rated box in there which was really nice of the manufacturer and took about 20 minutes to put the new fan up. Silly me figured the bedroom would also have a fan rated box. I guess the manufacturer's kindness stopped in the living room!

When I took down the old fixture I found a "cut-in" box in the middle of the drywall, which means the fan would only be supported by the drywall. So off to the store I go to get one of these guys, http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... reId=10051. They work great for putting in a fan rated box from below. They go in threw the hole in the ceiling where the old box was and then you screw it and it expands until the teeth dig into the trusses. It has tabs to hold it off the drywall the right height so the box will line up even with the ceiling. Once the bar is in you attach the box with a bracket and some nuts and stick the wire in the box. Now you have a fan rated box installed using the 3" hole in the ceiling and barely disturbing the insulation. Now you just have to put the fan up which is the easy part.

The fan we bought came with a remote, I"ve had ceiling fans with remotes before and they are great. You can turn the lights off and on from in bed and also the fan and fan speed. I guess this one was a cheaper model than I have had in the past because the remote won't allow the switch to work anymore! If you turn the switch off and then back on you HAVE to turn the light on with the remote, the switch won't turn the light on. Which is no good, call me funny but I like to turn my light on with the switch when I walk in the room! So I had to lower the fan and decided to just get rid of the whole remote. All in all the fan is pretty nice and well balanced and quite.

Just thought I would post that bracket in case anyone else has wanted to add a ceiling fan and ran into the same situation I did.