Heat tape

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

oldtimer

Anyone know how I can check if my heat tape is working ??
It is plugged it and has a orange head with I think a dial but no light or numbers on it
Thanks
Thank you
God Bless
ponch37300

I don't have a lot of experience with how heat tape works but I believe that it has a thermostat in it and turns on when needed. I would assume the dial is for the temp at which it turns on but don't know for sure. Might not have numbers but probably still does the same thing. Maybe if you can find the brand on a tag you can google it and get the operating instructions. I think the orange light just means it has power.

One way to test it would be just put a thermometer on it and see if it gets warm, or if it's cold outside you should be able to carefully put your hand by it or on it and feel the heat. Or even a cheap infrared thermometer from harbor freight would be able to tell you the temp to see if it's working at all.

Hopefully one of the other guys more knowledgable with heat tape will be along to offer some more advice, just thought I would offer some where to start.
Greg

There are ways to test it, involving meters. If you have any doubts do your self a favor and change it now, much easier than dealing with frozen pipes.

If it is in the 5-10 yr. old range change it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
cmanningjr

Put some ice in a zip lock bag and put it on the thermostat for about 10 min. Then feel the tape and see it's warm..