dead bolts

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Psaltee

Neither of our doors have dead bolts on them and are interested in installing such on both the front and back doors. Since these doors are not the solid core type are there any precautions that need to be taken to prep the area? Can the typical dead bolt be used or is there a special type for mh? Do I have to reinforce the door in any way to prepare the doors for these dead bolts? BTW, what type of doors are these and how are they manufactured?
Greg

If you have the typical "Trailer" door, they are usually not much more then Styrofoam sandwiched between two sheets of aluminum with an aluminum frame on the outside.

My personal opinion is that if you have this type of door it is not worth the price of the lock since one good kick will destroy the door.

A much better choice would be to replace the door with a steel (or fiberglass) door. In some cases you can install a full size door, in others you may need to cut down the door. See the Articles section for an article on cutting down a door.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Norm Frechette

You can also buy a wooden replacement door. Been there done that.
Psaltee

Great Idea Guys! Me thinks I'm going to go with the all-wood door and install the dead bolt. If the doors are a thin fiberglass with styrofoam fill what can we do with the back door to make it more secure? I've been thinking about installing a doorguard around the door knob to prevent a breakin until I can replace it with an all-wood door. Are there any better security ideas to shore up the back door until I can install an all-wood door with a dead bolt?
Greg

Here's our security system. It works great as long as the burglar doesn't bring dog bones, Then they will help carry whatever they want to take.
IMG_7568.JPG
Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
bobfather99

No door is burglar-proof. The key here is to make it so tough and miserable for a potential "visitor" that they give up and go for an easier "target", with el cheapo or unlocked doors/windows.

Beef up the doorjamb on both sides by butting up two 2x4s on each side. Screw the 2x4s together with long screws from the outside of the jamb going in. You want the lock/deadbolt to grab as much material as possible if someone tries to kick the door in.

Its also a good idea to have a dog, one that barks loudly. Get to know your neighbors too, keep an eye on each others property. Call the police if something doesnt "feel right" with people hanging around next door.
Tip your bartender.....
loveoldtrux

After my home was broken into in 1989, I put dead bolts on my doors by first having a 8" X 8" 1/8 steel plate fashioned with 4 holes pre-drilled for bolts to go through and a large hole cut exactly the same size the lock needs. Then mounted it with fender bolts and painted it. Works very well. Naturally, if somebody felt they just HAD to get in to steal my things, they could just take the 25 screws off either of the windows and tilt them out and get in. BUT.... hee hee hee my internal motion activated hidden camera would take a nice snapshot of them and I would present their pics to the local constipation of the peace...