outlets connected right to drywall with wings on screws....

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

taysmom1016

First of all, I'm a 47 year old single mom and have been on my own long enough to know some DIY stuff, but when it comes to electrical, I hesitate. I have a 2 year old Friendship 28 x 48 my son and I love. I decided to do a mosaic tile backsplash (which turned out beautiful) but soon discovered my outlets are stuck in the drywall with wing screws, not to the studs, and no electrical boxes. Is this safe? How hard would it be for me to add boxes and can I just put them in the drywall? Like I said, most DIY projects don't scare me but when it comes to electrical...I'm a little nervous. But I'm even MORE nervous of a fire caused by cheap construction! Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I have to say how glad I was to find this site...I've been searching for DAYS for some kind of answer after trying to reattach my new faceplates, the final step in my backsplash!
oldtimer

Hi !
You can get regular plastic boxes with the wings that hook on the drywall like the originals but you can put a regular outlet in the box instead of the junk one that are in your home now.
Thats what I did.
Good Luck.
Bless ya !
Thank you
God Bless
Greg

Hi & welcome. As oldtimer said you can buy "old work" boxes at any home center or hardware store and use a traditional type outlet or switch.
Personally I would recommend changing over to that style as I really don't feel that the all in one style are all that safe even though they do meet code.
You may need to open up the hole slightly to fit the new boxes in. MAKE SURE THE POWER IS OFF BEFORE DOING ANY WORK OF THIS TYPE. If you do not feel comfortable doing this work contact a qualified Electrician.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

Last time I commented on electrical the Mods didn't like it but I will try again.

The "all in one" recepticle/box are what most mobile homes use. They are alright, even though they are cheap and I don't like them. Hopefully when you tiled you left enough room to get the old outlets out of the wall.

I tell everyone that wants to do electrical work that it's not dangerous as long as you respect it and make sure you know what you are doing. First, go buy a tester like this http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... reId=10051 for outlets. Cheap and easy insurance. This will tell you if the power is off when you shut the breaker off and also tell you if you wired the new outlets right. Plug the tester in and turn the breaker off and make sure the lights went off on the tester.

Once the power is off unscrew the two screws in the corners of the old outlets until you can pull the outlet out of the wall. Then you will need to open the back off the plastic outlet. If there is enough slack in the wires you can just cut both sides at the outlet but I usually pry the back cover off the outlet and take the wire out. Then buy an old work box that has those same "wing" things on it, http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... reId=10051. Make sure the box will fit in the wall. The outer tabs should sit on your new tile. Stick the wires in the box and put the box in the wall. Tighten the screws until the box is snug in the wall. Then install your new outlet. If they are in a wet location I would install a GFCI. Then the cover.

It's actually pretty easy and I have replaced a bunch of ours and it takes me about 10 minutes from start to finish. Just make sure you shut the power off and double check that it's off. If you don't think you can do it then by all means call a licensed electrician.
Norm Frechette

ponch37300 wrote:Last time I commented on electrical the Mods didn't like it but I will try again.
it did seem you were singled out regarding your electrical problem and others havent been since

a good licenced electrician should be able to solve the receptacle problem associated with this thread

reminder

https://www.mobilehomerepair.com/phpbb/v ... f=6&t=5628
Steve-WA

Whenever I can, I cut out the drywall to a stud and put in a regular box and outlet, then re-rock the area. An alternative is to keep what you have, but use pieces of paneling or paint stir-stick behind the drywall for the clips to, well, clip to. Same thing if you install the blue boxes with clips. People will pull a cord to unplug stuff, and it will eventually pull this sucker out of the wall.
bobfather99

Personally, when I find the outlets with the "wings" I replace them. However, if you aren't sure you want to tackle a job like this, Id recommend an electrician to replace with a standard box. Electricity isnt something to tinker with, be very careful if you decide to work on it.
Tip your bartender.....
taysmom1016

Thanks for all your help...I think I will call an electrician and see what he would charge. It sounds like an easy enough job, and I do have some of those blue boxes but when it comes to electricity...well, let's just say I'd rather stick to tiling and painting. Thanks again!
Greg

We (the moderators) do not like to see specific information when it comes to electrical work. I will give a very general answer. If you need more information on how to do a job, you really shouldn't be messing with it. The last thing anyone here want is to find out someone was hurt (or worse) by advise that was misunderstood. We could just lock the topic but I have been giving some latitude lately to see where it will go, if things start getting out of hand I will just lock it up.

Ponch, I don't mean to single anyone out, if it seems like it I'm sorry. I may only check the board once a day and a lot can happen in that time frame.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

Greg wrote:We (the moderators) do not like to see specific information when it comes to electrical work. I will give a very general answer. If you need more information on how to do a job, you really shouldn't be messing with it. The last thing anyone here want is to find out someone was hurt (or worse) by advise that was misunderstood. We could just lock the topic but I have been giving some latitude lately to see where it will go, if things start getting out of hand I will just lock it up.

Ponch, I don't mean to single anyone out, if it seems like it I'm sorry. I may only check the board once a day and a lot can happen in that time frame.

Greg
Greg, I don't think I was really singled out. It was the poster asking about a flourescent light he was replacing and couldn't figure out which wire went where and kept asking if it should work if he did this or that. My response was to buy a tester and told him what wire to test and how to test it and that any advice was just guessing until he tested what wire was what.

I guess my thought is if someone is going to be doing electrical I try to give them advice so they don't hurt themselves, but I also always say if you don't feel comfortable then by all means hire a licensed electrician. Yes the last I want is to hear of anyone getting hurt trying to do electrical and that's why I try to give advice if it's something simple, some guidance instead of just doing it anyway guessing which wires go where. In my opinion that is doing more service for those that are going to attempt the repair anyway. 9 out of 10 people coming to a DIY forum like this are going to attempt the repair anyway. But if it's the forums policy not to give any electrical advice I will respect that. I just would hate for someone to come here looking for advice and the only advice they get is "hire an electrician" and then they attemp the repair and get injured.
JD
Site Admin

Ditto to what Greg said and Ponch is an excellent poster. His experience shows in his replies as well as others like Greg S. As moderators, we realize that people of all experience levels read our posts. Most readers are guests and not even forum members. Bits of information missed or misinterpreted can create a dangerous situation for some. Most times, we know nothing about the home in question. We don't know if there is already wiring problems caused by improper installations, decay or critters. What if someone is just trying to add a simple install to an already overburdened circuit that already has 11 connections? What if this is an aluminum wire home that has not been pigtailed?

If the rules of the forum change and electrical questions go wide open (I don't see that happening), I am fine with that, But I will still choose not to give out wiring instructions. It just makes sense to me.

I do want to thank everyone that posts on this forum. There is so much good will here and many people are helped through their projects. A great bunch of people!
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Steve-WA