Electric cable

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

oldtimer

I don't know if this question would fall under electrical & gas repair ! If so I'm sorry.
We are gonna move our mobile home to another lot in the same park.
The lot we are going to has the electric cable cut off flush with the ground.
The mgr says we can take our cable with us when we move.
My question is does the cable run inside conduit under the ground so I can pull it from the meter which is about 40' from our home?
If y'all can answer this thank you ! If your not allowed to I understand !
Thanks
God Bless +
Thank you
God Bless
cmanningjr

It 'should' have conduit. Depends in the local code and type cable they used.
bobfather99

I agree it should be in conduit.

Best to leave anything around the meter to the power company for several reasons.
One, its dangerous if you don't know what youre doing. YOU CAN DIE if you touch live wires.
Two, the power company doesnt like anyone poking around with their meters. They may suspect energy theft, and will bill you if you damage any of their equipment.
Three, the power company will run new wiring/cabling from the meter to your home, right into the breaker box if necessary.
Tip your bartender.....
HouseMedic

Like stated above it all depends on your local codes. Some states like mine (Delaware) You can get a homeowners permit to do your own work but it has to be inspected before the power is connected or turned on by the power co. If the power co. comes out and disconnects the meter then you will have no power while running the new service cable. Sometimes they are in conduit and sometimes they are direct burial wire. What ever you do, if you do tackle it yourself get it inspected before you power up.

Ron
Greg

In many states Mobiles are on what utility companies call "Temporary service" set ups. They drop a service line from the pole to the meter and then there is an outside disconnect box with a main breaker that the mobile home is connected to. If this is the type of service you have, then you own the cable between your breaker box inside the home and the outside disconnect box.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
UmpJJ

We had what Greg described. When we moved last year I had about 20' of cable from their disconnect box to my breaker box. I cut it and sold it for scrap - made $68 on the copper (but got the 3rd degree from the scrapyard, who wanted ID information!).
1987Commodore

Ours is direct bury. It could be either way. Do a little gentle digging around the end in the ground, and you'll soon have an answer. Hopefully you have a disconnect by your meter. Any cable from that disconnect to your breaker box belongs to you. If it is direct bury, be ready to dig a 40' trench about 2 feet deep to pull it out.
If I were you, when you move, I'd use conduit for the new service. Be aware that there are different types of wire required for conduit vs direct burial.