Dampness on inside wall

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

hhb

We discovered a problem, not sure where it's from. There was a musty smell coming from one of the kid's bedrooms. There is a double bed in that room, it's one of the high mattress types, and it was up against an outside wall lengthwise. Pulling it away from the wall we discovered what looks like condensation on the wall, and the bed sheets felt damp where it was up against the wall. There was a bit of green mold along the baseboard, but none on the bed or anything.

There is another, identical bedroom along the same wall, so we inspected that one, and no problem there, although it has a different kind of bed with a thinner mattress, and no box spring (it's a "captain's" bed with drawers along the bottom).

My question is, is what we're seeing condensation from interior humidity? And because the big bed was there, it acted like an insulator? Sort of like if you put a vapour barrier on the outside of a wall instead of the inside? I can't find any evidence of leaking through the walls from rain, and if it came in that way I would expect to see black mold, not the surface green mold... sound right? I'm not sure why this would happen unless her wall isn't insulated well or something.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this before, and is there a solution other than leaving a gap between the bed and the cold wall? (limited space as it is)
JD
Site Admin

That could happen but not necessarily would happen. Depends on the weather conditions in your area and the amount of moisture in that room. It could be from a spill or water from another source. I would suspect a roof or siding leak, especially if this is along an eave wall rather than gable wall.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.