How thick should I make the floor?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

vintage steel

I am cutting out every square inch of rotted or swollen sawdust board and replacing it with 5/8" plywood. I plan on sheeting over that with another layer of plywood and staggering all the joints. I will screw and glue the whole works together.

Another layer of 5/8" would probably be ideal but I am considering going with 1/2" to reduce cost, it is considerably cheaper. I don't want the floor to warp or rot ...ever again.

I don't want to spend more than I need to but, more importantly, I want the floor rock solid for a long time after this.
any thoughts?

Thanks,
-Russ
bobfather99

If I read that right, you plan to go with two layers of 1/2" plywood?? It will work but it might just be easier to go with 5/8" or 3/4" in a single layer. Good guide to go by is to use the same thickness as what was taken out.
Tip your bartender.....
vintage steel

bobfather99 wrote:If I read that right, you plan to go with two layers of 1/2" plywood?? It will work but it might just be easier to go with 5/8" or 3/4" in a single layer. Good guide to go by is to use the same thickness as what was taken out.
The original particle board is 5/8", I am replacing it with 5'8" (19/32") plywood.
I am putting another layer of plywood on top of that throughout the entire house. my question is;
Should what thickness should I use for the second layer?
Norm Frechette

Why 2 layers and not 1 layer of 3/4 inch?
vintage steel

I'm not building a new house, I have to work with what is existing. 5/8 is what is there.
bobfather99

Im thinking the 5/8" should be fine, the extra plywood might not be necessary to make a stronger floor. Couldn't hurt anything to add extra though.
Tip your bartender.....
bondo

why not go with OSB for the first layer, which is considerably cheaper and just as strong, and then a layer of plywood on top of that.
hhb

Avantech if you want to avoid rot. 1 layer will do it.