New MH owner! Got a project here. Pics included.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

750chop

Hi yall. My wife and i recently purchased a 79 Marshfield 14x70 for $300 dollars. The interior was pretty much gutted of all floor coverings and appliances. We've patched all the holes in the floors and done some serious cleaning. We had the home moved from the trashy trailer park it was in to a nicer mh community outside of town. So far we've replaced the breaker box as it didnt have one when we got it. patched holes in nearly every room and removed the built in desk in the kitchen and rebuilt the bay window sill. This weekend we will be getting a new water heater and getting the plumbing, sewer and gas lines hooked up. Should be moved in next week and we will be working on it as we go. Feel free to offer advice/constructive criticism. We plan to cover the entire floor in 3/8" BC grade plywood to secure the warranty the flooring we want to purchase requires as well as smooth out any imperfections in the patchwork floor there now. then paint, flooring etc. Here are some pics of the progress thus far.

750chop

guess my pics are too wide for the format :/ not real sure how to fix that. Sorry guys
1987Commodore

Looks like you've got yourself a wee bit of a project there. Get as much done as you possibly can before you move in. It's so much easier when the place is empty.
Keep up with the pictures of your progress.
750chop

Yeah, unfortunately its not empty anymore. All our stuff is already in it. Just waiting on the utilities to be hooked up to move in. Unfortunately thats really our only option at this point. I will definitely post up our progress.
bobfather99

To me, looks like a steal for $300. Hows the roof?? Any leaks?? Once you get the utilities going and the HVAC/plumbing done, consider checking out the underbelly. I noticed some of the material hanging down in one of your pics. Insulate/tape up holes as necessary, getting cold at night here in Indiana.... :(

Continue to update everyone on your progress, like to see projects moving forward!!! Ask questions at will!!!
Tip your bartender.....
hhb

That actually looks reasonably solid, and the frame held together for the move so that says something. Not bad looking on the outside, either. I'd say you stole it for $300. As for working around your stuff, been there, done that. It will motivate you to "git 'er done" is all I can say. Good luck with it. Out of curiosity, what did the move cost you?
dedou

Wow, what a deal! I love the fancy "scrolled" look to the outside of it. I'm also curious how much it cost to move - where you located? LOL, know what you mean about living in
it while working on it - we're there! Great photos - good luck!
Devon
Greg

Hi & welcome. I agree, it looks like you did very well on the purchase. You did not say where your location is or what kind of budget you are working with.
Remember to make sure the home is properly leveled (with a water level) before you do much more work, otherwise everything you do will be off level.
If cold weather is a factor in your area you want to get the home weather tight before the cold sets in on you.
Personally I would stay away from adding 3/8" over the existing subfloor, I would use a floor leveler if needed (again make sure the home is level before). Adding a second layer can cause problems if the sub floor under it should disintegrate witch is common with particle board floor as you are finding out.
Keep up the good work and keep posting pictures and updates. Don't be afraid to ask questions, that's why we are here.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
750chop

bobfather99 wrote:To me, looks like a steal for $300. Hows the roof?? Any leaks?? Once you get the utilities going and the HVAC/plumbing done, consider checking out the underbelly. I noticed some of the material hanging down in one of your pics. Insulate/tape up holes as necessary, getting cold at night here in Indiana.... :(

Continue to update everyone on your progress, like to see projects moving forward!!! Ask questions at will!!!
thanks for the response! My wife thought i may have lost it a little when i bought this but i think it will make a nice home for our family. The underbelly is in suprisingly good shape with a few spots that need attention as you could see. That will be a project happening soon as cold weather will set in quickly around these parts. I'll be sure to post up pics, im a bit of a camera whore.
750chop

dedou wrote:Wow, what a deal! I love the fancy "scrolled" look to the outside of it. I'm also curious how much it cost to move - where you located? LOL, know what you mean about living in
it while working on it - we're there! Great photos - good luck!

Thanks! Im located in central Illinois. We moved the home from Springfield to Riverton. the move cost $400. I'd like to see some pics of your reno, im always looking for ideas!
750chop

Greg wrote:Hi & welcome. I agree, it looks like you did very well on the purchase. You did not say where your location is or what kind of budget you are working with.
Remember to make sure the home is properly leveled (with a water level) before you do much more work, otherwise everything you do will be off level.
If cold weather is a factor in your area you want to get the home weather tight before the cold sets in on you.
Personally I would stay away from adding 3/8" over the existing subfloor, I would use a floor leveler if needed (again make sure the home is level before). Adding a second layer can cause problems if the sub floor under it should disintegrate witch is common with particle board floor as you are finding out.
Keep up the good work and keep posting pictures and updates. Don't be afraid to ask questions, that's why we are here.

Greg
Thanks for the input, I had it professionally leveled last week for a total cost of 348.86 with materials and labor. What is floor leveler? a liquid? Our budget right now is 6-800 a month spread out a little bit of course. We're figuring about 3k total to get where we want to be with it.
Greg

Leveling compound is a quick set mix, any home center should have it. $6-800/month budget is a very reasonable budget, It should buy enough supplies to keep you busy for a month.

Greg
cmanningjr

Looks like a project..But a good one. One thing in your favor is you own it!!
750chop

EXACTLY! I own it! I have always had an affliction for mh's. Im so very proud to own my own.
Greg

750chop wrote:EXACTLY! I own it! I have always had an affliction for mh's. Im so very proud to own my own.
But you would be amazed at how many people would rather throw $800/mo out the window on an apartment rather than live in a "trailer" !!

Greg