Jalousie/louvre window sash replacement

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

feeeeline

Hi all... no, you didn't get rid of me so easy. I'm going to make it through the winter in this place if I have to hold it together with chewing gum and bailing wire. :D

I must be running a poor choice of words for a search, because I'm not coming up with much on how to replace a broken sash on my old (72') MH window.

Keeping in mind that my DIY skills are practically non-existent, but my resolve is firm, and I'm willing to learn... is this an impossibility? Do I have to (uuugh!) pay to have this simple thing done?

I'd assume that I'm going to need a new seal (not just a new pane for the sash)... and possibly some tools... has anyone done this? (probably rhetorical around these parts. :)

Is this something a reasonably smart, cautious old batty lady should tackle? And has anyone seen a tutorial or diagram or whathaveyou so I can get a visual before I begin prying apart the frame?

It's only the bottom sash (two piece jalousie).

I was (of course) unable to find a suitable storm window for it, and have bought a slice of plexiglass and some of those nifty nylon turn-buttons to hold them in place. I had to do this with a MH that was even older than this place. Worked just perfectly.
Lisa: I didn't know you cared about ballet.
Marge: Lisa, have I ever shown you my shattered dreams box?
Lisa: No.
Marge: It's upstairs in my disappointment closet.
DaleM

A 1972 home with original jalousie windows. Time to upgrade to new vertical or horizontal slider windows depending on the window size. Don't waste your time or money on fixing those jalousies.
feeeeline

Oh Dale. :) Yes... you're absolutely right, but some background might be in order.

In order to entirely replace this particular window, I'm thinking... The wall is collapsing because someone misguidedly installed a roof-over, did so improperly and without reinforcing the wall and without first re-leveling the place, and... probably a great many other problems that I'm not experienced enough to realize or understand.

And, of course, what I lack in skills barely compares to what I might lack in finances.

So... by some miracle I've got one, single broken window pane in the place, and by gosh, I'm going to find some way to survive the winter (southern lower michigan) in the place because I'm cussed and stubborn as an old wart. :D ;) (But not without an extreme sense of humor about the absurd plight I've found myself in).

It looks like the process (judging from the youtube guy who's restoring and old VW) is something like...

Remove the broken glass
Remove the frame from the little arms that hold it
Take a broken piece of the glass... and either take the entire frame to the local glass shop, or just buy the glass and the putty/gasket kit for replacing the glass.
Somehow, without bending the frame, disassemble it by removing the set screws in the top and bottom of the frame, remove the old gasket/putty and clean the channel... somehow, also, without damaging that aluminum frame
Place gasket around the replacement glass??
Reassemble frame around glass pane? Replace set screws..
Try not to drop it or bang it into anything as you attempt to get the frame and glass re-attached to little arms.

Am I close?

In some of the half-instructions I'm finding, it's talking about some sort of little spring or something that might be part of this assembly. Also, seems to be some suggested that three handed people (or those with prehensile tails) might be best suited to this rather sticky job.

Wish I could find a diagram of these things

Thanks in advance, folks!
feeeeline

Plexi-glass held in place by little nylon buttons. Should have used thicker plexi-glass (and might have, if I hadn't been trying to do it so cheaply). Total cost in the $14 range. Still, MUCH better than a gaping hole covered with plastic wrap right next to the thermostat (on a miserable, sleety, WINDY day).
hhb

Or, remove the window panes (sashes, whatever you call them), cut a sheet of OSB, plywood or whatever you can find laying around to fit the outside hole, fill with insulation, plastic over the inside and wait until you have money for a real window. Seriously, why frig around with that old stuff..

**Edited to add - just saw the plexi, perfect for putting insulation behind and plywood on the outside of.
feeeeline wrote:Oh Dale. :) Yes... you're absolutely right, but some background might be in order.

In order to entirely replace this particular window, I'm thinking... The wall is collapsing because someone misguidedly installed a roof-over, did so improperly and without reinforcing the wall and without first re-leveling the place, and... probably a great many other problems that I'm not experienced enough to realize or understand.

And, of course, what I lack in skills barely compares to what I might lack in finances.

So... by some miracle I've got one, single broken window pane in the place, and by gosh, I'm going to find some way to survive the winter (southern lower michigan) in the place because I'm cussed and stubborn as an old wart. :D ;) (But not without an extreme sense of humor about the absurd plight I've found myself in).

It looks like the process (judging from the youtube guy who's restoring and old VW) is something like...

Remove the broken glass
Remove the frame from the little arms that hold it
Take a broken piece of the glass... and either take the entire frame to the local glass shop, or just buy the glass and the putty/gasket kit for replacing the glass.
Somehow, without bending the frame, disassemble it by removing the set screws in the top and bottom of the frame, remove the old gasket/putty and clean the channel... somehow, also, without damaging that aluminum frame
Place gasket around the replacement glass??
Reassemble frame around glass pane? Replace set screws..
Try not to drop it or bang it into anything as you attempt to get the frame and glass re-attached to little arms.

Am I close?

In some of the half-instructions I'm finding, it's talking about some sort of little spring or something that might be part of this assembly. Also, seems to be some suggested that three handed people (or those with prehensile tails) might be best suited to this rather sticky job.

Wish I could find a diagram of these things

Thanks in advance, folks!
feeeeline

I live in a mobile home park... and they have rules against broken/boarded up windows and plastic on the outside. :/

No hope for replacing the glass, eh? >disappointed<
Greg

It's been more years than I care to think about since I messed with one, but If I remember correctly there are screws in the corners of the frame that holds the glass. If you can get the screws out you should be able to replace the glass. You may not be able to save the gasket that holds the glass, but you can always use Silicone caulk to hold the glass.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
hhb

feeeeline wrote:I live in a mobile home park... and they have rules against broken/boarded up windows and plastic on the outside. :/

No hope for replacing the glass, eh? >disappointed<
Ahh, ok, understood. I live in a trailer park of one, we have less rules. :D
DaleM

Since you are dead set on replacing the glass, here's the easiest method for doing it that I know of. Remove the frame from the little retaining arms. Do this with the window cranked fully open. Remove the 2 lower screws first, then take out the 2 top screws. Here's the trick, use a magnetized Phillips screwdriver so you don't drop/lose the screws. They are small for a reason....so they don't extend into the frame too far to break the glass. Now back to the last 2 top screws. If you are right handed take the left side screw out first, this will make it easier to hold the window in place while you remove the final screw from the right side frame. Be sure to support the window the entire time you are removing the final 2 screws. If you are left handed take the right side top screw out first. BTW we are doing this from the outside of the home. If the window puts much pressure on those little arms they will break. They are aluminum and they are brittle, they rarely bend they just crack off.

Okay now that the window is off the mechanism you can look on the top and bottom for a small screw in each corner that holds the frame together. Remove them. Take a hose and soak the window well. This will allow water to lubricate the rubber glazing, it will come apart quite easily. If you're having trouble pulling the aluminum frames off, take a flat blade screwdriver, place it against the frame and tap it lightly with a hammer. It will come off. Easier yet take the frame with broken glass still in it to the hardware store and let them take care of it. I live near Chicago so glass replacement for that pane would be about $35 - $50. Hope that helps a little with your project.