Cheapest house in town, My house.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Greg S

My favorite license plate------ 3IOH22A It definitely "reflected" the owners personality.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
vintage steel

Three am o'clock in the morning time, I'm laying on the floor, freezing my butt off, staring at the blue tarp covering the 13' gaping hole in the East side of my house. (seriously, thirteen feet, not so much as a stud left standing.)
...I sure hope we get a wall up there tomorrow.
I think that is the last of the rotten floor.
750chop

Great progress! Gives me motivation to make my new singlewide nice and how to do it. Cant wait to see the end result. Any more pics?
vintage steel

Update:
We got the worst corner done and started moving tward the back of the house:

Had to remove a 13' 8" section of exterior Kitchen/ dining wall due to rot. I wasn't sure the roof would stay up and I had to sleep there to guard the hole:

However, this gave me the perfect opportunity to change the floor plan, a bit:
Got the new wall sheeted, the door hung and the new dining room window installed"

I have been skirting with 2x4's (bottom one is treated) and placing 1" rigid foam in the gaps.

...I believe every wire in the house was routed through this 2x4
I am doubling up on the foam and leaving a gap between the two pieces, then filling the cracks with great stuff: Seems like a good idea. any problems with this?

I'm diggin' the 70's mirror wall with a big shovel!

I got the floor plan figured out pretty well, going from a 3 bed 2 bath to a 2 bed 1 3/4 bath. using the smallest bed room as a laundry utility
hhb

One question about the skirting; does the frost heave the ground where you are? If so your trailer might be out of level next year, that 2x4 framing doesn't look like it will give too much.
dedou

I'm soooo jealous of the new windows~ our old metal leakers are just dripping from the difference in outside to inside temps right now. Hopefully, within the next few years we
can replace them. Meanwhile, we live in the winter with plastic window coverings. Great photos, great progress.
Devon
Greg

The frost heave issue may or may not come into play depending on you location, but one thing that will is ventilation. You will want to make sure there is enough ventilation under the home, the rule is 1 sq ft/ per 150 sq ft of floor space. I have mine set up with screens for warm weather and solid panels for cold.

Looks like you are making good time on the job.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
750chop

looking great! i like the new door/window. Definitely makes me want to do more to mine.
cmanningjr

Good job..looks nice!!
vintage steel

West Side! ...of the house.
South West corner of the house needed to be lifted about 1.5". So, I ripped off the skirting and stuck the Hi-Lift Jack under the frame.
Once it was level, we could start deconstruction:
( you can see a small patch of rotten floor right behind Chris' butt. Looks fairly simple)
Tear it down, frame it in! Getting pretty good at this, this section took us a little over two hours from the time we started tearing it apart to here.:
750chop

looking good! Cant wait to see the finished product. curious, what are you using to determine level? Water level, construction level etc...
vintage steel

750chop wrote:looking good! Cant wait to see the finished product. curious, what are you using to determine level? Water level, construction level etc...
4' framing level. Close enough for me.

...And the rabbit hole gets deeper.
With the front bedroom sheeted it was time to tear into the livingroom:

Removed 1 16' Section of wall and reframed it, the way I want it.
There was a small piece of floor to repair, about 2'x8' I didn't even take pictures, it took us 15 min to repair after the wall was down. ...I don't want to be good at repairing trailer house floors :roll:

Sheeted it over and cut out for the new door and windows:

Stapled up some housewrap:

INSTALL NEW DOOR AND WINDOWS!!! :D :

The aluminum pile is growing:
Meanwhile, on the other side of the trailer; digging a footing.
This will be a 3' extension to access the water shutoff, water heater, under side of the house and later the sprinkler controls. It will also give the power meter a place to live rather than it just floating beside the house:
cmanningjr

Looks good, making great progress!
ponch37300

Looks like you're pretty much replacing all the walls?

Any thoughts on how the addition with footings will "float" different then the mobile home without footings causing issues?
vintage steel

I'm just replacing the walls that have rotten floor under them and reframing for betterwindows and doors. I'm not concerned about the footing, the concrete pads, under the house, don't seem to have moved much over the last 36 years.