Insulating the underbelly: Paper back or not?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

willroach

Folks,
Im in the process of removing the old underbelly material and insulation. when i talk to mobile home repair stores or contractors they all recommend not using the insulation that has a paper backing on it. their reasons are mostly moisture related. I purchased the repair manual on this site and was reading the authors process of repairing the underbelly and he mentions using a paper backed insulation (pg 1-4). So whats the deal, can I or should I not use the paper back insulation? seems like a lot of "experts" have opinions but i cant seem to get a straight answer as to what to use. Any thoughts and help is appreciated.

Will
JD
Site Admin

Hi Will,
I think this may be a real concern for homes in cold and/or humid climates. The whole thinking is that your underbelly is the defacto moisture barrier and the paper backing would be a second moisture barrier. Water vapors or a plumbing leak could create moisture between the two barriers possibly leading to a mold/mildew problem. Within an intact underbelly, unfaced insulation would offer the same R value as faced, so going with unfaced insulation (or simply removing the paper facing) would be your safe bet.

JMHO
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.