soft spots in floor

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jeff13624

I have a 73 mobile home that has soft spots in the floor throughout the home. Knowing that these floors are sawdust board, I am considering laying a new OSB floor over the top of the existing floor. I am figuring 1/2 inch OSB, or wood it be a better choice to use 3/4 inch t&g. Thanks in advance for any input.
Jeff
Greg

It can and has been done, but I would advise against just laying new over the top of old. I would remove the old particle board and then put OSB or plywood down.

Just going over the top can open the door to a whole set of new problems should (when) the Particle board falls apart under the new OSB.

Do it once, do it right.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
bobfather99

Tear out the old particle board, replace with new plywood. I would recommend 3/4" thickness if at all possible, for strength.
Tip your bartender.....
hhb

Also look into Advantech for subfloor. It's built to withstand moisture. Never used it myself, just going by what others have said, looks like a good product.

http://www.advantechperforms.com/produc ... oring.aspx
dogbone

I recommend putting down some dryply if you have the money it makes for a solid floor and is water proof i put some in my kitchen and plan to put through out my place. http://www.menards.com/main/building-ma ... 501363.htm
Greg S

My opinion is that your decision should be based on the present value of the home, present overall condition, future life expectancy of the home and the length of time you realistically intend to remain in the home. Removing the old floor is a major project which will disrupt the entire home.
Placing 3/4 ply over the old flooring is quicker and realistically may last for the time you remain in the home or possibly for the remaining life of the home itself based on the fact that it is now reaching 40 years old.

There is no point in spending the money and time to do a body job on a $100 car that has 500,000 miles on the engine unless the future value warrants the cost and effort to the owner.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
JD
Site Admin

I would certainly use 3/4 ply, actually 23/32" and I usually use Sturdi-Floor tongue and groove panels. I have also used the Advantech product and it is very good stuff. 1/2" ply or OSB board would be very spongy. I can bend the corner of a sheet with one hand. Way back in the old days, before all this fractions of 32nds stuff happened to the thickness of plywood, 5/8" was a bit spongy too.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.