Removing a hitch

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mobile68

Hello.

I need to remove a welded on hitch, as I'm building a deck right where the hitch is. What would be the best way to go about this?

I'm thinking either a reciprocating a saw, or a circular saw with perhaps a carbide blade?
Greg

Reciprocating saw will give better access & a cleaner cut, plus no sparks shooting at you, you will need a metal cutting blade for either.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mobile68

Thanks Greg.

The reciprocating saw was my main choice, along with a fire extinguisher nearby just in case. lol

If you have any suggestions as to the type of metal blade, please let me know.
Greg

Any metal cutting blade will do, just go slow and don't force it otherwise it will overheat the blade let it cut at it's own pace. Buy a couple just in case.

Greg
oldtimer

I rented in a double wide that had the double hitches still on. The owner was gonna have a kid grind them off but I told him don't worry bout it cause I'm gonna build a deck over top on them.
It worked out great. If your deck will be high enough to cover them don't go through all the trouble.
Good luck
God Bless +
Thank you
God Bless
Mobile68

The top of the hitch is at about 27". If I make my deck no higher than 24", then I don't have to deal with permits, inspections, etc. That means the hitch has to come out.

BTW- Would it help to use cutting oil to keep the blade as cool as possible?
Greg

You can use oil, but you shouldn't have to. I cut thicker steel all the time without it.

Greg
vintage steel

I would use a 4 1/2 " grinder, and just grind the welds off. ... On second thought, I think I'd use the oxy acetylene torch. Either way, keep the garden hose and fire extinguisher handy and have a spotter, to watch for fire. I'm just going to unbolt mine.