Complete remodel

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Greg

First things first, Make sure the home is level. Use a water level on the frame, other wise everything you do in the home will be off level & out of plumb. A water level is easy to make and simple to use.

Next do the things to insure the home is weather tight, there is no sense in having new work damaged from leaks etc. If you have to caulk leaks as a stop gap measure than that's what you have to do.

SAFETY concerns should be addressed if you suspect Electrical issues either check them (if you are qualified) or have an electrician in to check them.

I would worry about the roof before the floor, A sound floor is useless if the roof falls in on it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

My son has been doing a complete remodel on his home for the past three years with my assistance. It is a mid eighties double wide the same as yours except his is on a full basement.
When he purchased it the home was in a similar state as yours and needed everything including furnace, electrical, structural, plumbing, fixtures etc. etc. etc. Mobile homes were not constructed of quality material and as such everything is beyond it's life expectancy at that age.
It has been a major task and has made living there very difficult for him. At this point in time all he wants to do is get it done and sell as his life has taken a different path and he needs to move forward. He is tired of living in a construction site and is hoping to break even when he sells.
Hopefully the end result for you will be more favourable.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)