Paint tub

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

oldtimer

Can a tub be painted ?? Also what kind of paint should I use on the shower walls.
Thanks
God Bless
Thank you
God Bless
Greg

I would guess that it can be painted, but how well and long it will hold up is anyone's guess. I would check with one of the Paint professionals for guidance.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

Oh boy!

First, tubs can be "painted". I've never done it because personally I don't like "covering up" things. To me a tub is a very smooth glazed surface that I don't really trust anything to adhere to and last. But I may be wrong and that's just my opinion.

Now, about the second part of the question as to what kind of paint for shower walls! What kind of walls do you have now? I'm hoping they aren't drywall painted.
oldtimer

They are the original and look like drywall. It's a 2000 home !!!
Thank you
God Bless
JD
Site Admin

All tubs technically can be repainted. They make special tub finishing paints with epoxy or urethane. However, I have found that long term results are not good. Seems like this is a house flipping product and not meant for actual use (my opinion). From what I read, a good job last a couple of years on a tub that is used daily. These are mostly ceramic tubs. An ABS tub would surely do worse because of all the flex in the pan.

Some of the main complaints I read were that you end up with a hard film of soap scum because you can't get in there and really scrub the stuff out. Many comments say that the failure starts with bubbling around the drain, possibly from direct hot water running.

I have friends that had BathCrest pro refinishers do there hall bathroom tub. They never use that tub and it does still look good many years later. I am thinking that if they did use the tub, the finish would be destroyed by now.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
hhb

I've done it. There are special kits for painting tubs. Looks fantastic when done... until a couple of years later, when it starts flaking off. Agree with JD, great if you don't plan on using it. For the price of 2 or 3 paint kits, you can buy a whole new tub if you plan to actually use it.