Leveling a MH on concrete block perimeter [pictures]

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rr72

Hi all,

We have a singlewide MH that is out of level (sloping floors, doors close themselves, etc.) but we're not sure where to begin leveling it. The home sits on cinder blocks on concrete pads, but the I-beams are cemented into a stuccoed concrete block perimeter support. Pictures follow. Year, make and dimensions are in my signature. Has anyone had to deal with something like this before?

1989 Detroiter 14x48
dedou

Hi there,
No advice to give, as I have skirting, but I noticed that it appears that your floor joists run lengthwise? I don't see many posts here with a frame like ours (1988 Astro), so am interested in what's been done to your place. Where are you located? That will help others who know more give you better advice...
Devon
dedou

Oh, duh. Forget my last question - I see your location now!
Devon
Greg

It should be a basic relevel. The block/stucco skirting should not be attached to the home but rather sitting under the rim joist.

Contact a dealer in your area for contact information on a qualified person to relevel it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
rr72

@dedou: I'd be glad to answer any questions you have about our home -- we moved in only two months ago, and this is our first mobile home, but I'll do the best I can. I've included 2 more pictures that may help. I believe our floor joists run width-wise.

@Greg:
The block/stucco skirting should not be attached to the home but rather sitting under the rim joist.
That's what appears to be complicating things. In the second photo of my original post, the I-beams are shown coming through the block skirting. Was this an incorrect setup or done for greater anchor strength? How does it complicate a leveling procedure? Note this MH is on land we own, not in a park.
1989 Detroiter 14x48
dedou

Oh yeah, I can see that you do have the width-wise joists now. Darn it, misery loves company, but I can't find any :)

As to the leveling question, I would say that leveling would likely crack that stucco, and probably an incorrect setup due to that. And because of all that, I'd definitely lean toward a pro doing the job.
Devon
Greg

A picture is worth a thousand words, I see the problem. You will most likely end up chipping or cutting around the blocks before you relevel it. Someone wasn't thinking when they did that. I think I would relevel it and use spray foam to seal up the space around the block you could put a thin coat of stucco or even sculpt the foam and touch it up.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flcruising

Is that the only location these occur?
Has this area been checked for level already?

It may be a case where this 'fixed' location is to remain, and the adjustable locations (piers) can be leveled conventionally. The amount of flex to the I-beams may not cause any issues, but Greg's suggestion of chipping it out and foaming it back is the easiest.

Being that there is a significant shadow line where the house overhangs the skirting would make me want to add a skirt board around the perimeter and cover those beams up.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]