!!! FLOORED !!!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

DannyBob

Hi, Y'all ...

now, having completed my "Fabulous Guest Suite" --- laminate flooring installed, etc ...

I'm moving onto the "Fabulous Main Section" ... carpet in LR will be replaced ( no problem there !!!) ... BUT in the K/DR I have sheet vinyl ---

??? -
---
Can I lay "Press y Stick" in top of the Vinyl ... ???
Will I need to prep the vinyl ( aside from usual cleaning) ... ???

???-
Will this madness ever end ... ???

*Db
-
Mark
Site Admin

If the vinyl is original, it's probably not even glued down. If that's the case, it would come out real easy.

Did you say you wanted to use press-n-stick type of vinyl squares? I'd avoid those at all costs. For them to stick well over time, you need to have a perfect smooth sealed surface. Otherwise in about 6 months they'll start to move or come-up and just generally look like crap.

I would stick with sheet vinyl, or the laminate.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Yanita

Hi DannyBob,

Not to totally contradict the boss but this is my experience with peel and stick...

I completely agree with Mark about existing vinyl, remove it even if it is in good shape. They will always have some sort of texture, wear pattern in it that will eventually bleed thru any vinyl floor product.

Anyways, remove the vinyl, lay down luan so that its seams are staggered over existing subfloor. Use a floor leveling compound to seal all seams and nail holes.

If you are using peel and stick I prefer the Novalis brand, sold at Lowe's and probably other places as well. Novalis is a great product and a real big improvement from older peel and stick tiles.

Before install read the package instructions, adhere to them.

You can check out the archives, there are several threads from RickD and myself on this brand, he also had some great pics in the post.

Good luck,

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!

You could also use TrafficMaster Allure (or similar brand) vinyl plank tiles, which stick to themselves at the edges and not the floor. They are designed to "float" over the existing floor, be it wood, peel & stick or sheet vinyl. Since it doesn't stick to the floor itself, the surface of the existing floor can be in much rougher shape than if you were using peel & stick, laminate or sheet vinyl.
altasnowman

Hi,
just my 2cents worth. when we bought our home it came with peel and stick flooring, at the time it looked good but 6 months later it started to move thought it could be fixed and several weeks later and much frustration we finally said no more and removed it all spent a few dollars and went with laminate. floors look great now.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......