Vented Soffits

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

woodb

I am getting a new roof and notice I do not have vented soffits on my 1996 mobile home. I have the deluxe blend air !! system. I have read there should be a gable vent on the side of the house. There is just 4 roof vents on top. Will it hurt to have a few more added on the roof whylr the new roofing is being put on.
Greg

Hi & welcome. The problem with venting the roof is the usually there just is not enough room to get vents where they should be. Usually there is not enough dead space between the insulation & roof. If you are installing a new roof you may be able to design it to allow for more venting.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Jim from Canada

I put a new roof on my place. I have a peaked roof made of wood, not a metal one. What I did was strip the roof to the trusses. I then added a 2x4 on its edge to the top of each truss. I cut them longer for a larger eave overhang. Then sheathed with 5/8 T&G, Ice and water shield and shingles. I had them put in a ridge vent and vented the eaves. The extra 3 1/2" of vent space over the existing insulation made a huge difference in the comfort of the home.
1987Commodore

If you have cathedral ceilings throughout, there's probably no clear space for ventilation. I have cathedral in the middle, with flat ceilings at each end. Over them, there is a small attic area, which has gable vents. I am going to see if there is any clear space at the soffit area to add vents.
The cathedral area is fully packed with insulation between the ceiling and roof, no room for air flow there.
Jim from Canada

I guess I ought to have said I have cathedral ceilings throughout. Sorry about that. Still, the extra space and venting system improves the home a lot.
1987Commodore

Jim, A system such as you have done would be ideal.