Funky Smell

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

terrifromohio

I have been getting a funky smell in the front part of the house the past couple of weeks. It is laminate flooring in that half. I have mopped the floors thinking that was it and the smell did not go away. I have a concrete brick foundation around the mobile home so I don`t think anything could have gotten in there and died although anything is possible. I have vents in the concrete brick skirting around, about 4, should I open these?
We are having rain today but after that I plan to look under to make sure I don`t have a ruptured sewer line or something. Just looked underneath and did not see any of the sewer line leaking.
Thoughts on this would be appreciated.
oldtimer

Did ya check the ac vents to see if it's coming from them ?????
Good luck.
Thank you
God Bless
Greg

Warm weather, the vents should be open. Get as much air movement under there as you can.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
terrifromohio

I will open the vents under to see if that helps. thanks I have not check the ac vents to see if its coming from there, hope its not.
oldtimer

Where ever ya are in the U.S. it's gotta be hot !!!! Don't ya have yer air on ??????
lol lol Just kidding !!!!
Thank you
God Bless
DADDYO

gee,i was just gonna post about bad smell..my mobile home we jus bought month ago,we have have this funky smell in our kitchen.first it was the drain trap leaking on cabinet bottom,i fix that.we thought smell would be gone.. second was,smell would get real bad after doing dishes,so i tore the bottom of cabinet out,all this old wood was nasty smelly,in the garbage outside,turned on water faucet,wow around where the drain goes threw the floor was bubbling up water on the floor,i thought the drain was broke,we called the park seller, they sent plumber out,he crawled under sink inside cabinet and pulled the drain apart,it wasn't glued together,so he glued it,after an hour drying ,i the floor under there was wet and very nasty,i shop vac it all up and hand washed the floor .we thought ok the smell will be gone, sprayed lysol under there went to bed... all day today appeared better,after wife washing dishes couple hours later we have this funky smell again,i just sprayed lysol under there again and right down into the hole next to the drain goin threw the floor...MAYBE I NEED TO TEAR THE REST OF THE CABINETS BOTTOMS OUT...ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ,PLEASE....
DCDiva

I would say all of the insulation is wet under the mobile home where the leak happened and under the cabinet. Plus I would put a drain cleaner in the pipes to clean them out,did the plumber dump and clean out the trap? It could have junk in it that smells.Plus you might want to make sure the outside vent is working correctly. Good luck with your hunt for the smell.
The best thing I have found for just smells is Odor X It, order by web site odorxit.com I found it by accident in a search as a few years ago I need to get rid of cat pee on really good furniture left in a rental,best stuff ever,my dd uses the furniture to this day and not one smell--used it on a bag of dirty diapers,I own a daycare,we put them outside the door daily,but someone forgot to grab them for trash day,100 degree humid heat OMG the smell was coming in the house from it and my neighbor could not use her deck due to the smell lol so i sprayed the bag,smell gone and more diapers were added all week until trash day,wished I had some stock in that stuff lol.
oldtimer

It good to take the time and check yer vent pipe cause my shower head was loose in the wall. So I had access through a bedroom next to it. When I removed the panel I found the vent pipe that went up to the roof was sitting on the floor and not into the pipe where it belonged. I slid it up and stuck it in the pipe where it belonged. It had to be like that since they built the home (2000) cause it was a little hard to slide it up cause of the spray foam insulation
Good luck
Thank you
God Bless
terrifromohio

I put a load of bleach through the washer, opened the vents to the skirting, cleaned the filter above the stove where I had been cooking(frying stuff) and all of that seemed to help. I have to agree I do think the heat and the house being closed up for so long with the AC on does not help.
Thanks so much for all the help.