Help, where to start, complete remodel- *LONG*

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

TappanTrailer

Ok Gang!

I need some help here. I'm going to embark on an extensive remodel (the whole house, LOL). Here are some of my quandries -

1. I can't just move out entirely and do the whole thing at once which would be easiest, so it will be done in sections. Some sections are interdependent on others. This will be permitted through HCD / State of CA.

Overall work to be done:

1. Replace all windows - and they all have to be reframed to new sizes either for height/width, or both, which will require patching and/or replacement of siding.

2. Siding replacement - to fix the dry rot/siding damage to the walls.

3. I really want to replace both awnings on the house. The carport awning is the full length (60') on one side of the house, the deck awning is on the other side, about 30' worth.

With those things said - here is my question. Obviously, the easy thing is to do all the windows at once, then do all the siding, and then the new awnings. But, if I am doing this in a room by room manner, then it makes it much more difficult. I really don't want to have all my walls open to do the windows all at once, nor do I want to replace all the siding at once, and I really don't want to have to "re-work" this stuff twice. Ie, if I do room by room, so only 1-2 windows at a time and the corresponding sections of siding/dry rot repaired, then it makes doing new awnings way down the road, which I would prefer to have those done towards the front end because I need to add a back porch awning, and also I need extender posts for my carport said sooner rather than later.

So - is it possible to do it this way: rather than tear off my current awnings and putting new ones up with all of the existing siding I have now, can I just have the top 6" of old siding cut off and replaced with a new band at the top and z metaled to the old siding below before the new awnings go up? The awning ledger would then be mounted to the new siding strip (vs. the old). Then I would have all the siding below that point to replace as I move along, replacing windows and siding to fit, without having to pull or loosen the new awnings at all? The 6" strip/z metal could be covered with a horizontal trim board once it is all done, caulked painted, etc so you would never even know that was done?

The siding I have is T1-11 style masonite........to be replaced with Smartside or Hardiboard T1-11.

Am I making sense?
TappanTrailer

Or, could I just do the awnings now, and would it be relatively simple to loosen sections of awning where it attaches at the top of the current siding in order to replace 2-4 sheets of siding at a later time?
Greg

As long as you are planning on getting everything done this year, I would go through and do all the windows first, then the siding and finish with the awnings.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DCDiva

We just finished much of this except the awnings. Are you replacing the walls in the inside?? if not,then I would start on one side,tear off the siding--if you are doing smart siding you can go each 4 ft section and replace it/repair as needed and replace the windows as you go. This would give you easy access to all the wood, and to re frame,plus caulking everything and weather proofing. Then do the awnings. We replaced all of our windows total re framing and replaced with smart siding in 2 days, 3 days on the second MH BUT we replaced all of the studs LOL So this could be a one week project depending on the time you have on the project plus a great helper.
Send photos when done before and after:) Melissa DCDiva
bobfather99

Greg wrote:As long as you are planning on getting everything done this year, I would go through and do all the windows first, then the siding and finish with the awnings.

Greg
My neighbor had this same issue, he did it the way Greg described. Got everything done in one summer.
Tip your bartender.....