Well our MH's survived 80+ mph storms

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

DCDiva

Hello From WV! The storm last Friday was unreal and I was all alone in the MH,except for 4 dogs. The roof rumbled but no issues with either MH and TG we have no trees close to the property. The trees literately bent over. I knew it was coming--thanks to face book--as it hit our home town. The MH's we are remodeling are 3 hours away and I arrived Thursday for my working vacation. Our hometown,well not sure what the official word is but from photos had a tornado hit it,took off many roofs,took out our new large press box at the HS,took out telephone poles and tons of huge trees. We did not have electric for 72 hours,many are still without electric or water and many do not know when they will get it,could be 2 weeks or more. We drove for hours looking for a generation,no luck. long lines for gas,water,milk,meat(all the store had to dump all dairy and meats after 24 hours)and ice--could not find ice for 5 days. We were lucky to have water and a gas stove to cook on. The was a huge wake up call for us and many others--life stopped without electric. I pray for the others still waiting on electric as it affects the rural area as it takes helicopters to fix the problems they are so remote. Nothing on the news can even describe what it is really like. Tip: always have cash,plastic does not work without electric or phone lines, portable radios and batteries--this was a god send as the radio told everyone what was happening and how we could help each other and phone numbers for help,bottled water,always have your freezer full,even if you have water bottles frozen--great fro a cooler, have a way to cook meals---camping cook stove w gas,hand held can opener, extra gas cans full,always a full tank of gas, invest in a generator--even the 150 ones at northern tool,would save the frig,and run a fan in 100 plus heat, Oh powdered milk,can fruits/veg,easy meals like tuna helper,soups--I recommend gathering it all and put in a container for survival kit.

OK we survived and still worked on the mobile home,my dh and son used hand saws to finish the floors and had lots of battery operated drills charged,put in new flooring,finished the plumbing,framed,insulated and covered the skirting,they are finishing filling in between old mh and new roof and I painted--I have painted trim and touched up trim since Friday--I now hate trim but it looks great. Tomorrow we should finish and install all the outside trim--I hope---I have photos but it is late and will post tomorrow if I have time.
Saying a pray for all without electric Melissa IN WV
mrstovar

Hey I was wondering how much storm a mobile home can stand. It's good to know yours withstood 80 mph.
Greg

They run down the road at 65 all day long from the factory to the dealer.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
bobfather99

Glad your homes held up in the storm. Double glad nobody was hurt. Finally heard from some friends down that way, as of this afternoon they have intermittent weak cell service but no power.
Tip your bartender.....
cnyguy

dc diva:
upstate new york went through one of these "straight line" microburst derecho storms early 2000's labor day. utterly unexpected and devastating. Here's a suggestion for the US government to consider: How about a put people to work type of project to complete with the proposed "smart grid",start burying power transmission lines. I heard this morning Germany (with their power lines buried) has a national average of twenty minutes for power interruption. England buries them too. I remember telling my young son in those days after 5 days without power, this is just like camping out except we're not outside! My thoughts and prayers are with all of you, hope you all are ok.
DCDiva

Hi all most of the families in my home town got electric today after 10 days some have a while to wait, they had over 100 degree temps--as for us we are almost done with the MH just a day of finish work and we are adding a deck/porch--but we finally went on vacation and are currently parked at the beach lol we did not take a vac last year due to working on the Mh--I took some photos so if I find time this week will post--hope the before and afters
Finally relaxing on vac, Melissa in WV DCDiva