mice deterant

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Psaltee

Hey Guys

I thought it might be a good idea to try mouse traps. Simple, inexpensive and they get the job done. What say ye?
cnyguy

I bought a Victor plug in repellant machine from Lowe's and have it plugged in the crawlspace. It seems to work very well. I used to have a problem with field mice, especially when it was very wet out, they would come in. With the machine down there, I haven't seen them around in quite a while. I have had it down there for about five years now.
chablis

I use the D-Con bait trays in the crawl space, and place them on piers in each corner of the crawl space. I put them where larger animals (such as cats) can't access them. Two caveats: 1) Be sure that you have absolutely no water leaks in your plumbing, otherwise the mouse will burrow into the underbelly to seek water after it eats the poison. 2) If you find any mouse carcasses around your property, scoop them up and dispose of them in the trash. A house pet could be poisoned by eating one.
Chablis
Psaltee

Cnyguy

What kind of machine is this Victor plug in repellent? How did you come by hearing about this and is this a resource that is affordable? I don't have moisture problems or anything else that would attract those varments so I'd be interested in knowing more. Appreciate it!

psaltee
bondo

Psaltee wrote:Hey Guys

I thought it might be a good idea to try mouse traps. Simple, inexpensive and they get the job done. What say ye?
I've completely sealed my crawlspace and they still manage to get in there. I now concentrate on the outside and use ABS pipe with poison bait screwed in the middle, seems to be working well.
cnyguy

Psaltee:
On the victor website, they call it the heavy duty ultrasonic pest repellant. List price: $45 I think I bought it for less than that at Lowe's. I've been down there once or twice a year to check it. If you can hear a slight crackling sound, it's working. I had a real problem with critters when I first moved into this place, but this device seems to really keep them out. good luck,
cnyguy
Psaltee

Cnyguy,

Where did you place this Victor plug under the house. Since it is ultrasonic does it work off batteries or do I have to connect electricity to the plug? Would this work for squirells as well?

Appreciate your thoughts,
psaltee
Greg S

IN regards to "sonic" repellents for all those that say they work there are just as many that claim the don't.
I don't know the reason for this but chose not to waste time or money on the product.
Poison does work as any farmer, warehouse owner or cottager will attest. Cheap and easy to use, no batteries, messy traps or doubts.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
cnyguy

Psaltee:
I have a duplex power outlet that came with the house under there for the waterline heat tracer. I plugged it in there, it requires line voltage. I live on a cleared lot in a residential neighborhood, that is still quite wooded and has a high water table because we're close to a lake. I do not live in a park. I've heard different opinions as to how these things work, but I'm saying this is working for me so far. The house sits on piers on a concrete pad. When I first moved here, I could open the crawlspace door and see critters running all the time. For a while, I was setting traps and nailing them that way, before I put the machine down there. It might depend on the environment as to how well it works. If you're in a totally removed or wild environment, maybe it won't work. I didn't want to mess with any poisons, so I went this way.
DADDYO

i have to do the best i can to stop the mice, my wife gets scared... so, i think i may try all the actions mentioned here... poison, pest repellent,and the 6" deep gravel with 6" wide strips of aluminum metal inserted in the middle of the gravel,plus seal and tape up the underbelly of any tears... all this possibly i can satisfy no mice .... fingers crossed...i thank all for your help...
p.s. is this the outdoor or indoor ultrasonic pest repellent unit ?
cnyguy

The unit I'm using is the one rated for a large basement/ garage