water heater

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mrstovar

The used mobile home we bought for our lot is without a hot water heater. We want to save space and money. What is the best option for us? Thanks!
1987Commodore

Which utilities do you have available?
mrstovar

Just electric, no gas.
DCDiva

You can use any off the shelf electric hot water tank,you can get a tall or short. ONLY gas hot water tanks must be mobile home approved. Look at the prices-- around here the price for a bigger tank--40 vs 30 --the 40 is cheaper by$ 30 or more. Space well most of the time a hot water tank is in a closet in the bedroom or bathroom. I have seen some people make a small addition outside--they made it look like a chimney for the hot water tank but that might cost a little but does not take up space--If I remember today I will take a photo of this as it is on my way to one of my rentals I am working on---- My first MH did not come with a washer/dryer hook up ??? we added it to the bedroom closet and it worked for us but I wished we would have added a small bump out for the washer/dryer and HW tank as we could have had a full size reg tub as the HW tank was by the tub--access was outside and the HW tank leaked and ruined the bathroom floor, oh well. I hoped this helped. You could get the tank less hot water system but the price is high @ 700 or more.
Have a great day,Melissa
mrstovar

Thanks DCDiva. I didn't know we could install a hor water tank on the outside in a "chimney"; maybe we could also install it in an outdoor closet on a landing for one of the doors? If we can get a small enough one that still holds enough hot water for our needs, maybe we could put it under our big three bin sink or somewhere. It's nice to know we can pretty much use any electric water.

I did look at the tankless water heaters and for various reasons I don't really think that's the route for us. Cost is one factor.
Greg

The only problem you may have if you are changing from gas to electric is electric service. You will probably need to add a circuit breaker & wiring for the new unit.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mrstovar

Oh, I hadn't thought of that. There are gas ovens in the trailer too that we want to replace with electric so no doubt we'll need to get some electrical work done.
Greg

As far as Cooking goes, I prefer gas. A 100# tank should last 6 months with no problem.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mrstovar

Oh, I remember that the gas lasted a long time when I had a gas stove. What I didn't like was that the price of gas kept going up and up every time (so it seemed) and the stove gave out on me in a few years (the repair was too costly to do) while my electric stoves keep plugging away with very occasional repairs and the price of electricity seemed more constant than that of gas. Now recently electricity has gone way up too so maybe it's more even again.
DCDiva

Hey is the Mh with the chimney--I am assuming it is a hot water tank but might be a fireplace? But you get the idea lol
https://www.mobilehomerepair.com/phpbb/d ... iew&id=551
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jpingram5

If your switching the stove and water heater to electric you have to make sure you have enough service. Is your panel an older 100 AMP or newer 200 AMP service? Count how many breakers and their draws.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
mrstovar

That "chimney" looks like a nifty idea! Thanks for posting the picture.
Jpingram, I didn't look much at the electrical panel but I think my husband has, at least he was looking at the wires, ect. since an aquaintance recently lost his mobile home due to its illuminum wires starting a fire that destroyed the dwelling and my husband does not want us to have a similar disaster. Anyway, I don't know if we have 100 AMP or 200 AMP. I take it that if it's 100 AMP we will need to upgrade, correct?
jpingram5

Well you can get a small one like maybe 30 gallon or less and probably get away with it if there is only 2 people. Besides that yes you would probably need to upgrade service.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80