to remove original

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

72 mobile

roof or not?
Hi, I'm in the middle of purchasing 2.5 acreas of land with a 72 MH on it up in Central NY. Don't fall off your chairs yet, there are some good things about it, it's within 25 miles of some of the best fishing lakes and holes in the world and the people in central NY are the greastest, I left there for the army over 50 yrs ago and don't know why I stayed away so long.
There are no problems with the MH that I know of other than like my self,age., we have signed the contract and this Sat, I'm going up and spend some time with the old guy who is selling it, I'm 72. we'll uncover the septic tank so it can be pumped and "inspected" which means for an extra $75. the pumper driver will write that the septic tank is not cracked or caved in, I know, everyone has to make a living.. next we'll fire up the furnace and take a water sample.
My first plan is to put a pole barn style roof on the place. the question is, would there be any harm in removing the old drip edge and the whole metal roof leaving just the insulation and old trusses exposed for future work to be done, like more insulation and removing the original trusses as I'll have new 2X6 ceiling joist up there
My long range plans are to replace the whole floor, beef up the walls with 2X6s and R19 insulation.,replace the windows and doors,the wireing,200 Amp service for future, replace the ceiling insulation with R30, make it a completely new home that will last another 50 yrs. when we get done,hopefully people will have to look close to figure out it was a MH. In a couple yrs, we'll probably add an addition with a full basement to it.

This will not be my home, one of my sons went to college and got a job up there and decided he liked it up there better then he did down here so this will be his place. I haven told the build inspector about our plans as he already asked why we would spend money on an "old trailer"? I told him that we wanted the land, the septic,the well and the ele service, the "old trailer" was just a bonus. I also told him that is was an old trailer when the other guy owned it, now that I own it, It's a mobile home and it's my business how i spend my money so he could be a pain when and if i get permits for everything.
Greg S

Will they allow you to remove the old one and bring in a newer home.
It would probably be less expensive and definitely much faster that a reno on a 40 year old home.
In the end replacing the home would be a better financial decision.
If you Reno it might end up being worth what you put into it, if you are lucky, where as buying a newer model from the 90s or 2000s could possibly double it's value once placed on your land.
To save some money you might try suggesting the local fire dept burn the old one down as a training exercise or give it away (buyer to move).
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

Congrats, Where about's are you going to be?

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
72 mobile

Greg S wrote:Will they allow you to remove the old one and bring in a newer home.
It would probably be less expensive and definitely much faster that a reno on a 40 year old home.
In the end replacing the home would be a better financial decision.
If you Reno it might end up being worth what you put into it, if you are lucky, where as buying a newer model from the 90s or 2000s could possibly double it's value once placed on your land.
To save some money you might try suggesting the local fire dept burn the old one down as a training exercise or give it away (buyer to move).

I really don't want to move or distroy it, I do know that just to take it out of there will cost about six thousand and that will put the best roof money can buy on it and probably the floor also. Anything I spend on this now would have to be done to a newer one eventually. as I stated, I'm 72 and don't have time left in my life to wait on a group of no life stuffed shirts to make a decession on how or what I should put on my property
I have no idea what the zoning laws are up there ,but here MHs are alright long as they are not moved, if they're moved, they have to be completely gone and in most cases, then the land is useless as it's in a non conforming area, "not enough land to build anything" like it was on a half acre and now the area is zoned for 3 acres. The best thing to do is leave them there, dress them up and add on the them.

I don't think fire departments do burns anymore because of the toxins that may be on the roof or other places, PT blocking in the belly ect.
72 mobile

Greg wrote:Congrats, Where about's are you going to be?

Greg
north eastern Tompkins county
Greg S

In light of the fact that this place is to be for your son and not you it would definitely be a better financial decision to replace. Less money, less time and definitely less effort.
In the end you will have a far better home with another 30 years life left in it as opposed to a already 40 year old home renovated on old low quality bones. Plus a replacement home will be move in ready this summer as opposed to ongoing construction over several years.
Shop around the resale market and get a idea of what is available. You may be surprised by the cost comparison and the added resale value replacement creates.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
72 mobile

this MH is ready to move into now, it needs no work and has been well maintained, we're just going to do things now that will eventually have to be done. The ten thou that we may put into it is nothing compared to renting slum housing appartments in a college town, a new lease every semester for a thou a month, and owning nothing at the end of the yr. Just the privacy and the 3 car garage that is on the land is worth what we paid for it.
Greg

You're about 20 min away from me. There are lots of older homes that age around here many in good shape. As for the new roof, consider going up to a 2x8 not much more money and more strength. I think I would leave the original metal in place at least until you are ready to seal everything up weather tight.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DCDiva

Hi We did exactly what you are thinking of doing. We totally replaced everything in one MH and wished we would have--we did everything but the walls in another. Here is our blog of our adventure http://myprojects-dcdiva.blogspot.com/s ... -results=5
We could not replace the MH due to zoning laws,plus did not want to loose the rent from 2 MH. Time: well we live 3 hours away,if we lived close to the MH 2 months or less, but since we do not the final Mh we started last summer,July,will finish this JUly. Cost: Well I hate to add this up so not sure lol I am estimating at 8000 each BUT this is all new from ground up and should last for 50 more years. VS a new Mh starts at over 25000 Plus once I start getting rent from them--my dd lives in one and other will start renting in fall 2012,or else lol. I want to vinyl side them vs painting again, but we may add a room onto our dd's MH --she might move back to this area one she is done with Med school.
So I would go for it,with insurance you will be lucky to get much coverage we had 10,000 but our agent had us keep track of what $ we put into the Mh and we could increase as we added money to it,need to do this lol.
Have fun, Melissa in WV
72 mobile

I just found out that if this MH is moved one ft, it has to be removed from the land and no more MHs can be brought to this ratty town.