Generator Transfer Panel?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JeepsOLot

I fired up the generator this afternoon, and something got me thinking. Below the outside meter is a switch/breaker that cuts power off the grid. It's wired after the meter, as the meter is fed from a pole just behind the meter. There is another box beside the meter/switch/breaker. This looks like it has a 240V receptacle with an ON/OFF 30 amp switch/breaker Here are a few pics to show you what I'm talking about:

The whole setup, my meter is the left one:

This is what is in the box just below the meter, the silver sticker next to the switch says "Service Disconnect":

This is what is in the small box to the left of the meters:

What is making me wonder if this is a generator transfer switch is the sticker above the switch/breaker:

Why would you cut incoming power to mess with this if it wasn't a generator hook up?

Bring on the theories!!!

Jerry :D
rectifier

Electrician here.

That sort of label is quite common on panels that have exposed energized internal components. You don't really have to de-energize it, of course, but that warning is there for "non-electricians". If you fumble the cover taking it off live, you could create a big bang or worse.

Your small box looks like someone put it in to run a 240V welder or similar equipment. I would say it's for a temporary service pole panel as used in construction - but this is only a 2 conductor plug. As such backfeeding the generator into it will not provide a neutral, so you will not be able to run your 120V appliances and lighting.

This box may be connected after the main breaker, or (you never know) it may be hooked up directly to the meter. This would tie your generator right to the line no matter what state the disconnect is in.

When running your whole house off a generator you must take every precaution to avoid backfeeding the service, killing the linesmen working on the supposedly dead power lines. This is the reason that the code (in Canada at least) requires a proper DPDT "transfer switch" for this application. I would not recommend using this box to connect your generator except in a true life or death scenario.

I personally know someone (friend of a friend) who blew up his generator when the power came back on and it was tied to the line. He is lucky that's all that happened. The rules about transfer switches are there for a reason!
Greg

Jerry, Here in N.Y. 90% of Mobile homes are set up on what is classified as "Temporary service" as far as electrical service. Set up is just like your's. Not sure of the reason, just the way they do things here. I know of the three utility companies here that do it that way.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JeepsOLot

I did some research, and, the receptacle that's in the small box won't work anyway. When I saw that when I bought the place, I was thinking it was for an air compressor, as I know the PO did alot of car work, and had air tools. It was just odd that it wasn't hooked into the main panel in the house, but, hooked into that box below the meter. You can see a small dia. pipe going from the box below the meter into the ground, and it matches to the pipe coming up to the small box on the ground. I do know that the switch in the box below the meter does completely cut power to the house. I'm just not sure about the receptacle in the small box, how it's connected to the box below the meter. Should I CAREFULY remove the cover panel of the box below the meter, and see where line comes from the small box, and see how it's connected?
rectifier

The easy way to find out, is to flip the main disconnect and use a meter to see if there is any power at that outlet. No power means it's connected after your main disconnect.
Easier and safer than taking the covers off.

I'm not one to say what you can or can't do, and I don't know your experience with electricity or how careful you are capable of being. All I can say is, remember that there are no fuses between that main disconnect and the pole transformer, and take that into account along with your personal skill and experience any time you consider going near your main service conductors.