Installation of new Metal Roof question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

robertkjr3d

I think what I'm saying is: Your booklet that I purchased is supposed to be setup, for the every day guy like me (a software developer - who dabbles in projects around the house - and isn't all that great at them)

It needs to be much more descriptive, and dumbed down (what are these products... if I walk into home depot/lowes... and ask what is this and they don't know.. that isn't good. Or if I can't get the product their at all... you should have in the document some good descriptions or really what it looks like I should be going for, or possible places around the country I can get it.

On your list of needed supplies -
Materials (out of 9 differnt listed items that will be needed) - my local Home Depot only has in stock 4 of them.

This is very frustrating.

It could be just the wording that is confusing like - 'corner (gable) trim'. But I figured my father in law who is coming in town, would know what product to buy that would replace that particular trim item.
robertkjr3d

i misspoke - home depot had only 3 of them - It was Lowes who had the Foam Closure Strips... but yet I may still not buy them their.
robertkjr3d

Another important question: I'm having trouble finding - 3in screws with neopreme washers - and people/builders at the stores look at me crazy wondering with this project why I would need that much distance? - There is one more location to try - or the internet to rush order them.

I think I know, it has to go through all that stuff, and goop I've already got on the roof into the rafters - I think. right?
robertkjr3d

Update: I noticed that my posts and questions/concerns are left with blank stares.
oh well.
I will keep talking. I did find the 3in screws with neopreme washers at this specialty hardware store in town. Starting the Project tomorrow - Friday.

Still haven't picked up the closure strips that is available at Lowes. I'm hoping that since it's just foam, it will suffice. Although it doesn't seem to be the exact kind that it is built for this particular Fabral steel.
DaleM

I would skip the insulation all together. Run some treated 2x4s the length of the home on 2' centers to attach the ribbed roofing to. Screw them in right through the existing metal roof to the existing rafters with 3" deck screws. You'll be able to use 2" barn screws to attach the new roof panels to the new framing. This will create a 1 1/2" dead air space that will help insulate a bit but keep it mind you already have insulation in your main roof cavity. As for those closure strips you won't need them. Grab some metal trim, either fascia or drip edge and use that to cover the ends of the home and you can address the side a couple ways. Look for some metal trim that will cover the edge boards or just paint them and caulk the gaps in the panels that are a result of the corrugations. Did one of these last year on a pitched roof. If you want pics I could probably get you some.
JD
Site Admin

I saw unpainted metal building gable/corner trim at my Lowe's today, so you might want to check your Menard's, Home Depot, whatever for special order. The best way to get it is to buy it from a metal building supply house. These places are everywhere and more so in rural areas. Most don't build "pole barns" with wood framing any more but the trim is the same. There you will get a quality product with quality paint available in many colors.

Screws do not need to be painted but that may look better. #10x3" hex head screws with the washers are available at most home stores. They are usually crazy expensive when buying those little boxes. There are many fastener companies online that sell the screws at half the price or less. Locally, we have a store called Mid-Valley Distributors that only sell fasteners. Any type of screw, bolt, nut or variation is available there. So I am able to buy at wholesale prices locally. You might want to google [fasteners, "Your Town"] and see if there are any suppliers near you.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
DCDiva

I order my metal at Lowes what ever color I want, I order the screws and any of the needed garbles--trim I need in the same color --there is book you order from and it shows all of the needed trims at the customer service or commercial counter.
robertkjr3d

btw... I did completel this project a while ago. Nothing.. I mean almost nothing was as easy as the manual said it was going to be. The manual needs to co-written by an every man. Not done by guys that work at a particular store in a particular place. It just ended up being an extremely loose-guide. In the end so-many questions came up that could not be answered by the guide. The job that I have does not look professional if you look too close. But I believe it will keep the water out of the house.

Btw... one of the last items above was about foam-closure strips. Very difficult to find even after I bought the steal. The place that sold me the steal didn't have enough of them (because - yes yo do have to have the right strips). So I had to make shift styrofoam and insulation tape. Then there was questions like: hmm how does the metal meet the ends if you have eevs troughs already? Well I just had to figure it out.