Installation of new Metal Roof question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

robertkjr3d

I have purchased the handbook: I went to Home-Depot and went searching for the metal that the handbook calls 'White Corrugated Metal'. This doesn't seem to be something that every lumber yard carries on hand. Started snooping around on-line, and found places that called metal 'corrugated', and most of the time it looked a bit different, and if you were going to use it on your roof, it required more of a pitch, than even 'my roof', and/or the ones in the pictures that are represented in the PDF.

Note: My roof, looks a lot like the PDF. Except I do have gutters on the right and left.

So my question is: Where do I find this metal that will work for this assignment? Also will it really be an under $1000 job in-an 2012 economy? I live in Ypsilanti, MI (Ann Arbor's red-neck step brother)

I also had to get the job approved by the park leader (super). He questioned how it would work with the gutters, and the edges. I don't think he saw the box, or the paragraph, where it mentioned how they stick out over the gutters just a bit. (it made sense to me anyway, should work). He also said that metal has gotten so expensive in the last few years, that it would not be worth the price. I had to submit the instruction manual to the office.
Greg

Hi & welcome. I know locally that Lowes & Home Depot carry that style steel, It is basic Pole barn material and should not be too hard to find. Yes, Steel prices have gone up in the past few years but if may still be the least costly way to go.

JD should add to this if he sees it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
robertkjr3d

" I know locally that Lowes & Home Depot carry that style steel.."
As I said I went to Home Depot. And I saw the selection of Sheet metal available. There was one small little cubilcle of completely flat sheets of metal (not corrugated). Nothing that looked anything like the ones in the pics. Can you find a part #, on their online system? Perhaps you have mean a 'Home Depot' of say 2005 or earlier...but not 2012.
At least it was not in the Building Materials section.
Greg

Here is what I found. Home depot, "Roofing metal" as a search. Don't be afraid to price match one against the other and save some money, all you need is a printed price.
Greg

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... reId=10051

http://www.lowes.com/pd_96189-28906-716 ... Info=Steel
robertkjr3d

Ok the homedepot works, however when I center it in my area, it says the product is unavailable. But the Lowes seems to work.

However it does say this:
'Minimum pitch required 2.5:12' - This is what I was referring to, in my earlier post. That when I did find metal that looked like what you speak about. Why is it that they need a pitch on a roof, that basically has almost no pitch. Now in the instructions, there is some wood planks that might give it just a bit of a pitch, but 2.5? - what do you say. Also price. I've calculated, that the metal alone will cost. $776.60 pretax using the exact metal at the cost of the exact part, measuring a foot past, the house on all sides, (with even some to spare... not too bad, but doesn't include other costs).
JD
Site Admin

I have seen the standard corrugated roof metal used on curved top roofs, which will not have much more than 1:12 anywhere on the roof and of course totally flat at the ridge. Using these panels on a lesser sloped roof will void your warranty, but that does not mean they won't work.

There are raised seam panels that can be installed on a flat roof. These panels are approved to 1:12. http://www.metaldeck.com/klip_rib.html They do get pricey.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
robertkjr3d

Since the required pitch can be thrown out. Would considering Ondura be a thought (crazy)?
You showed me the link to the corrugated. Is there any reason a cheaper plain sheet metal variety wouldn't work?

see this link for the cheaper corrugated: What about plain sheet metal with ribs?
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?par ... &cId=PDIO1

Or does the whole concept work, because of the flat sections?
robertkjr3d

Error... You should be replying to me.
I need to submit my project to the 'park bosses' in the next two days. I must start the work by this weekend. I did find the originally linked Fabral from a Lowes about 20mins away. I think I need 21 pieces of it. After work to day I'm going to investigate a lumber yard in town, who also is a dealer for Fabral.

I had asked if I could go with some smaller gauge, or some different types (shapes) of steal? cheaper options... what are my options, and get away with a good finished job? - the suggested product is about $36-$38 per 3x12ft steal piece

Thankx,

Robert
Greg

As far as metal gauge you are at the mercy of what they have in stock. I would add a bead of silicone between the ribs when you lay your next panel to give you a gasket/seal between panels. I think the pitch spec. is for a worst case downpour where rain could stand on the roof before it runs off and could run under the seam at the panel joint.

Like I said, use the lowest price guarantee to your advantage. All you need to do is print out an ad with a lower price and they usually match the price plus an additional 10%.

Greg
robertkjr3d

I tracked down a good location, and a good price to buy the metal. Fingerle Lumber (Ann Arbor, Mi) very local for me - Total Metal Cost for the Fabral should be 631.25 after tax. Not bad. I'm going to purchase on Friday (assuming the Park Boss does approve, he has the plans now.

I need to track down the foam insulation now. It might be another $100... an internet search yesterday found a location in Jackson, MI - a bit too far away.
robertkjr3d

Ok important question...:

I found FanFold Insulation - 50ft - however only 1/4 inch thick. The specs in the doc says, if alternate to fanfold, look for atleast 1/2 thick -- Is this the right stuff?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_304092-210-3040 ... facetInfo=
1987Commodore

I can't see where using that fanfold would be worth the effort. It's r value is only 1. Use the 4x8 sheets of at least 1/2 inch thickness to get some insulation benefit for your $.
robertkjr3d

Well I would say because its not as easy as the instructions booklet says... also the 4x8 sheets are more expensive. I just priced out a home depot 4x8x1/2 sheet at $262 (to cover the house)

On the hand... I can see your point. I looked at the fanfold stuff, and it had nothing to it. If I could find 1/2 fanfold, but can't seem to find. I just need to find cheaper 4x8s
robertkjr3d

update on the project: Not having a good time buying the product.
Checking off on the list. - 1box of 3in white sheet metal screws with neoprene washers <-- figured out right away you can't just get that anywhere. Home Depot/Lowes were a no.
FanFold, doesn't come in 1/2 inch (atleast in my area)... so I am going with the 4x8s.

No one seems to know what 'Metal Corner (gable) trim' is? - Yet I found it on Home Depot's website. Now at the same time, it was not available (anywhere in michigan).

yeah!... i found boxes of the 'Foam Closure strips' - yet again when I asked about them.. no one seemed to know what I was talking about. I didn't buy them right away, because, wow they were not cheap. Perhaps, at the same location as the place I'm going to pick up the metal, they'll be cheaper.
Greg

One thing that I have found, names of some things are not the same across the country. If you have pictures of what you want they may very well have it under a different name.

If you have any industrial fastener or farm supply stores near you check with them, they may have the screws there at a better price.

Greg