Question - Pex lines

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Denise

As we are going about looking at NEW mobile homes I'm hearing (without me bringing up the topic) that we don't want PEX plumbing in our new home, that the opaque lines are much better. I understood that PEX is superior to the opaque lines. Am I getting a snow job or misunderstanding that PEX is better? Thanks again.
Seasider48

Pex is opaque. Maybe a clearer definition of the plumbing involved is needed. Are they referring to the fittings - there are push-fit and crimp rings that can be used. I'm not too fond of the push-fit as they haven't worked in my 1970s DW - haven't been able to make them stay on the copper tubing. But I love the crimp ring fittings and Pex.
Denise

Thanks, then PEX is what is in our 1999 Fleetwood.
bobfather99

Don't let anyone steer you wrong. PEX is great stuff for mobiles. Both of the homes Ive put PEX in have great water pressure, no leaks, no unhappy customers. Ive used the crimp ring fittings each time, never tried the push-fit or sharkbites.
Tip your bartender.....
Greg

Denise, PEX is the superior product, The older Gray PB tubing had problems with leakage. PEX is very forgiving when it comes to freezing as well.

PEX is usually white, but does come in Red and Blue also. I recommend crimp type fittings also, I have had a problem with the pushlock (sharkbite/gator) type fittings leaking.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
1987Commodore

PEX is also used in stick built homes. We had copper stolen from our church camp, and replaced it all with PEX. It's great stuff.