1972 mobile repair or replace, opinions?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mud2005

Hello I just discovered this forum and I'm really excited. I've been reading many of the posts and they are really helping me learn about mobile home repair.
I have recently moved into a 1972 Redman Flamingo that is ALL original.
Before I tackle all the upgrades I want to do I have to wonder if it would make more sense to buy a newer home and have it moved in.
when it comes down to it I would like to replace the roof, ceiling, walls, and floors. by the time I'm done I'll have replaced everything and I'll have spent alot of money and time.
so what do you all think? should I fix up this old beater or save up for a new home?
thanks for reading
Greg

Hi & welcome. There are LOTS of things consider before making a decision like that. You have to factor in all costs then add in another 50% to cover things you forgot about. Then weigh against a another home.

Remember too there may be zoning issues as well.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
hhb

My question is this: is it in bad shape? Why do you want to upgrade it?

If it's all original as you say, but not abused or broken and possibly repairable / restoreable, what's the motivation in doing all the upgrades? From the sounds of it, you might as build a new one.

Vintage is "in". There's lots of people that might like an all original vintage trailer for a cottage or something. Bonus if you still have avocado green appliances that work. There are tons of 1980's & 1990's mobiles around that "must be moved" for next to nothing. Sell yours and get one of those, it would be even money I'd bet, and you'd be starting from a better position and maybe have less work to do. Or spend a little more and go even newer.

But don't ruin an all original 1972 anything if it's in good shape. Just my humble opinion.
JD
Site Admin

My vote would be to not invest in upgrades at all. But if you can make the home safe and whole for a thousand or two, it may be worth it if you are satisfied with the home and want to live in it for a few years.

With the new EPA RRP rule that applies to all renovating, remodeling and painting of all habitable buildings, all major repairs will cost significantly more, even if you are doing the work DIY. Of course if you disregard this new law, repairs would not be more expensive, but you put yourself in a very vulnerable spot. There is good reasoning behind the RRP rule, so you may also be putting yourself, your family and anyone coming to the home in danger. Even if the RRP rule is important to you personally, it should be very important to any licensed contractor that works on the home.

Then there is the value part of this. A '72 mobile home will probably not be worth the cost of any major repair, let alone all the the repairs you mentioned. If someone is living in a mobile home that old, and they cannot afford to move anywhere because of the change in monthly rent, then nursing the home along may be the best answer.

JMO
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
mud2005

awesome replies, thanks very much.

I do have all avocado green appliances, sinks, and vinyl floors. the counter tops are yellow :D

I've read your opinions and thought about it and I totally agree. I'm not going to do any upgrades for now other than patching the roof leak and maybe some white paint on the panelling.

I'm going to concentrate my efforts on saving $$ and in a few years maybe I can buy a newer home and swap this one out.

anyone want to buy a 72' retro home :D

thanks again guys, I feel alot better now that I've decided what to do.