Setting up a used MH

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

hhb

Hi all, this is my first time posting here. I'm a MH "noob" you might say, and I have a question about setting one up.

I bought some land last year, there's a fairly new well & septic there already, and an old barn. THe house burnt down 6 years ago. The old house was torn down and the foundation filled in with what appears to be mostly gravel. It's reasonably level and drains well, being on top of a hill. I should mention I'm in eastern Canada, so we have winter (think Maine / New Hampshire).

Our plan is to buy a used MH and put it there, and then maybe build a small addition. The mobile will be a single wide as double wides are almost unheard of around here. I can get a pretty good deal on a "must be moved" MH, like under $10k (there's quite a few to choose from). Moving it will be $3 to $5k it looks like. FYI, this whole plan is a compromise from building a new house on the spot, mostly due to finances.

So here's my thought, and I'd like any holes poked in it or opinions offered. I know it will cost 2 or 3 of thousand, but I really feel a concrete pad would be wise to put the MH on. Then I can use PT 2" x 6" wood and create a frame around the perimeter, sheath it with metal roofing or PT plywood for skirting, and insulate it. I'd pop the septic & water lines through the pad before pouring it. My aim is to stop freezing pipes and rodents. I'd pour the pad with a "bump out" for the addition I'd plan on putting on as well and do the same thing with the framing and sheathing.

So, does this sound reasonable? Part of the reason for the pad is this isn't "undisturbed" soil, it's right where the house used to be (not really any other choice of location). I'm worried that blocks right on the gravel might shift too much. Also, the woods are in back of us, so chipmunks, mice & squirrels are another concern.

How thick should the pad be? 4", 6"? Also, should there be insulation under the pad beyond bubble/foil stuff? The MH frame will be supported on blocks I suppose, but is there an issue with also supporting it around the perimeter with framing?

Any and all advice will be appreciated. I sorta don't know what I'm doing... :oops:
Greg

Hi & welcome. Well, I sort'a think you are on the right track. If you can, I would go with at leas a 6" pad. You should check with the codes office first, they may require more. It's easier to work with them ahead of time rather than make changes after the fact.

Personally I can see no advantage to insulation under the pad, unless it is a code requirement.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."