Dent in Metal Siding

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rockncountry101

I had a man out this weekend from the dealership that I bought my new home from. He was recoating the roof seams with some black stuff. He was basically covering up where the caulking had rotted and fell off. He had an extension ladder that left a small dent in the metal siding. How can I get that dent out? Would it be a simple task for him? What would you suggest? Thanks!
JD
Site Admin

If this worker was paid for the work, I would tell him that he must remove the dent. If he works on mobile homes, he should know better than that. Besides, regulations requires that the top of his ladder be 36" above the roof if he is getting on the roof and not staying on the ladder. This probably will not be easy to fix 100%, so if he could get it looking pretty good, I would probably be happy with that.

I would also question the black stuff. If you have a metal roof and he is using a tar like asphalt mastic, he is using the wrong product. There are butyl rubber sealants that are black, which would be acceptable. Asphalt mastic is used on comp shingle roofs and BUR (tar) roofs.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.