Homeowner Insurance

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mary

Its been awhile since I've posted but have been a member for many years. Remember the central Iowa day long visit Mark and Lise?
My 1984 doublewide has been covered by homeowners insurance with our land. I lost my husband last fall and have been reviewing our policies. The company we are with now seems to have at some time taken off the replacement value for the home without my knowledge. So in hunting for new company coverage, I discover most do not want to cover a home older than 20 years. This home has been well maintained with upgrades inside and out but no real changes other than furnace, plumbing, roof 10 years ago, doors & Windows. It is stable and I own the ground it sits on which is only 5 mi. from the nearest fire dept. and that is considered close by our rural standards. Can some of you write and tell me what companies you use for homeowners insurance and you experts will know who really has good coverage for repairs. Thinking maybe more than just myself would like to know where is best to check. Plus I'm now retired and on a limited income so watching cost as well. Thanks.
Mary
Norm Frechette

my mobile home (2007) is insured by Foremost Propery and Casualy Insurance Company and my dads (1983) is also insured by Foremost, including replacement.

http://foremost.com/
Mary

Thanks. do you have an agent or did you apply directly to them?
Mary
Norm Frechette

i called them and got a quote. signed up right then and there.

here is a GOOGLE search for other companies that insure mobile homes

https://www.google.com/search?source=ig ... afe=active

one day i need to sit in front of the computer and get some online quotes for homeowners and auto insurance bundles. might be cheaper in the long run.
Greg

That's what I was going to recommend, Check with your Auto carrier and see if the will cover your home also. I would also contact your agent and try to find out how the policy got switched and see if there is any way to switch it back.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mary

OK. Am checking with the old agent to see why the change I wasn't aware of. Am also looking online. My new auto carrier would insure the home but it is much higher premium than paying now so that didnt' work this time. Thank you everyone. You never know if your insurance is good unless you have a claim. So would anyone else know what insurance company they had that paid them ok for a cliam and let us know please.
Mary