wiring for new ceiling fixture

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

readysetgo

Ok guys,
Ceiling box has 3 white wires, 3 black and 3 ground. How do we hook up our new ceiling light(flushmount). This ceiling box has an on/off switch on the wall. There was previously a ceiling fan with a light on this ceiling. Hubby seperated all the wires and now (WE), as he says, are trying to get it back to where it was before. As you know in a mobile Home there are other lights/things tied in together for one breaker. The new ceiling fixture has a white, a black and ground wire.
Thank you all
readysetgo

Well hubby didn't have the patience to wait for a reply last night. He just did a process of elimination with the white wires. By having the other lights working in the kitchen and and none of the black and white wires attached he was able to get the right one so it would switch off at the light switch. We already knew the one that didn't work so there were only two more choices and he chose the right one. :shock:
JD
Site Admin

Glad that worked out for you. I didn't dare reply to your post because electrical troubleshooting is not something I am really qualified for. I am lucky that my partner is an excellent electrician.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
readysetgo

I was kinda scared but hubby figured since he had already tried one of the 3 white wires and that it had already kicked the breaker then that only left two white wires to try and that if it had of been the wrong white wire then it would have kicked the same breaker. He just got lucky that the next wire he chose was the right one.
Yanita

Hi RSG,

Sorry nobody was available to help with your question.

During a holiday we get kind of scarce around here.

Glad everythng worked out.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!