Total Remodel

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

feeeeline

VERY cool! Love the laminate floor, too. Can I ask a question? How is it wearing in the kitchen? Likely when I get that far with my remodel, I'll do linoleum, but I always wondered if there was a laminate that would hold up for use in a kitchen.
Lisa: I didn't know you cared about ballet.
Marge: Lisa, have I ever shown you my shattered dreams box?
Lisa: No.
Marge: It's upstairs in my disappointment closet.
gtpvette

So far so good on the flooring in the kitchen. I guess the secrect is don get it too wet. We did get a lot (I do mean a lot and it sat there for a week) of water in around the front door and the flooring has cupped a bit. The current plan is to put tile down right in front of the door just in case water gets in again.
Steve-WA

That is one tiny master bedroom! I love the sconces - only drawback from my perspective as an investor and landlord, is that it kinda limits where the bed goes, but in this case, it appears that the size of the room limits where the bed goes, so nice decision on the sconce lights. Really attractive - nice work. I like that you keep adding before and after photos. Congrats
gtpvette

Thanks for your thoughts!. The good news is,,, this isn't the master, it's our second bedroom. We have a doublewide so the master is about 12x18 give or take a bit. As for the guest bedroom we really don't want anyone getting that comfortable,, so small is good! Is that bad of us? :-)

I started on the hallway this weekend. It's small maybe 6 x 3. The previous over had tiled it but had put down hardie backer board with construction adhesive and nails first. What a pain to get that all up. I spent 5 hours or so with a hammer and chisel getting all of that glue off. I also scraped off the popcorn and screwed all of the drywall in. Next is mud work.

As soon as that's done we start on the master.
Greg

gtpvette wrote:Thanks for your thoughts!. The good news is,,, this isn't the master, it's our second bedroom. We have a doublewide so the master is about 12x18 give or take a bit. As for the guest bedroom we really don't want anyone getting that comfortable,, so small is good! Is that bad of us? :-)
"Guest bedroom" is at a Hotel!! We have a 3 bedroom, We have the master, the small one is storage and the 3'rd is the " computer/art room. Our son tried to stay with us but got real tired of the couch. Our reply was "who owns the problem?, Our bed is comfortable!!" It works for me!!

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
gtpvette

I haven't posted in a while so I thought I'd post this update. The wife and I took a week of vacation last week and built a deck off the back. Wasn;t much of a vacation but I do tthink the deck looks terrific. Time to start on the master bedroom and bath!
opinion free

It may not have been the best vacation but darn it, everytime you look at your new deck and stair cases: you should feel like your on vacation. You took the time to craft the dual sided stairs, put post lights on and finish it beautifully. IT IS GORGEOUS!!!
Steve-WA

oooOOOOOOoooHHHhh - - - didn't see the post lights at first - muy bueno!!
gtpvette

Well the time has come for the master bedroom and bath.

The bathroon dresssing area before. You'll notice it's seperate from the toilet and shower and the dressing area is open to the bedroom.

This is the toilet/shower area. It's a 4' shower with a closet next to it,, but not for long!

Shower and closet are gone wall between the dressing area and shower is gone...

Vanites are gone as well....

Look at this mess behind the shower wall. This is all going to be replaced with CPVC

I've removed the wall between the shower and the dressing area. I'll wall up the opening between the dressing area and the bedroom and install a pocket door there. I've got a new 5' Sterling shower stall to install and a new single vanity.

Stay tuned.....
crackur

wonderful job and very inspiring. This years resolution is opening up my books of ideas to fix my home up and accomplish more of them......had a kid and set back me a lil lol
LisaBoyer

Loved the pictures! Thanks for sharing, looks awesome :)

I was curious as to what type of tiles you used on the counter tops, ceramic? They look like 12x12, are they floor tile? If I ever get up the courage, I might tackle a redo on the counter, and I love the look of tile..but being a new DIY'r, I'm slightly intimidated. Seeing your kitchen has helped motivate me!
gtpvette

LisaBoyer wrote:Loved the pictures! Thanks for sharing, looks awesome :)

I was curious as to what type of tiles you used on the counter tops, ceramic? They look like 12x12, are they floor tile? If I ever get up the courage, I might tackle a redo on the counter, and I love the look of tile..but being a new DIY'r, I'm slightly intimidated. Seeing your kitchen has helped motivate me!
Hey Lisa,,,
The tiles are 18" x 18" ceramic floor tiles. I went with this size for two reasons. First the center island is 36" wide and 9' long so it allowed me to not have to cut any tiles for it, and less grout lines than with a 12" tile. Second it's the perfect size for the backsplash. On the counter where the sink is I put down 3/4" plywood followed by 1/2" Hardie Backer,, then the tile. One the center island I put down 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood first to make it stronger.
gtpvette

Hey Guys. I've hit a snag with the new shower stall. I dry fit a 60” 4 piece Sterling Accord shower this weekend and the back wall is about 1 1/2" out from the studs at the top. With that, it looks like the floor has a major drop from back to front of 1/2" to 3/4" or so. So the question is what is the best way to level this thing?

I've read about using mortar/thinset/sandmix in piles underneath the pans support feet and it would certainly do it but I'm a bit concerned about the front lower edge of the shower not being directly supported. The plan is to install a set of bypass doors and I would think they would need to be properly supported by that front edge. DO you think this is a real problem??

The second thought I had was to build a small platform to set the shower stall on. Just rip some strips/wedges with the proper angle front to back maybe 2” high then cover with ¾” plywood. Then set the shower on that. The only additional work would be tiling the front edge .

Of course the real problem is the mobile home itself. Nothing is square,,, probably never was. No rot or sag in the bathroom that I can see, it’s just everything is just off a bit.

So what’s your favorite way to raise the outside edge of a shower pan??
gtpvette

Well I I posted this question on three different forums and no one replied. :( So I opted to build a small platform. Seems to have fixed my issues as the back wall fits correctly now.

The beveled floor joists. I ended up with the floor sagging just under 1/2".

New shower is going to be nice!

crackur

you are an inspiration man! Keep up the excellent work!