soundproofing

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

thelovelychristine

does anyone have ideas to soundproof a mobile home? I am looking to block out as much noise from cars and subwoofers as possible
Greg

This subject seems to surface a few times a year. The best advise I can give is to google soundproofing. There are many ways to reduce the noise, but we never seem to hear back on the ways that help.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

There are many products out there to help you sound proof, but most would require access to the inside of the walls to install. There are also framing techniques you can use with some of these materials that really offer great soundproofing to walls. Problem with our mobile homes is that sound penetrates through the roof and floor very easily too. So in my opinion, it is usually not very cost effective. Installing a soundproofing sheetrock to the existing walls (which will bring you a new set of cons and bad stuff) could help some and may be least expensive plan. Still I wouldn't expect a huge difference.

Now if you were already going to replace the siding or interior panels anyway, that would be a good time to go after soundproofing. You would still have the ceiling to deal with, but it might be worth it if you were replacing walls already.

JMO
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg S

Attempting to sound proof a mobile is not really worth the effort unless you are already doing a complete renovation job (inside gut or new siding) in which case you could go the extra mile with additional sound deadening insulation/material.
In a older home this would require either the addition of ridged insulation and strapping on the exterior or adding to the thickness of interior walls to allow additional sound deadening insulation and a separation between studs and interior wall coverings.

The end result may not measure up to your expectations.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)