Cauling around roof seams

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rockncountry101

I just bought a new mobile home. It's a 2010 model, but it was on the lot for 2 years before I bought it. My question relates to the seams where the metal roof meets the metal siding. When I look at it, it appears that something is peeling back and falling off. I picked up a piece of it and it appears to be caulk. The dealer confirmed this and says they are coming to look at it. I've noticed this around almost every metal mobile home in my neighborhood. Is this normal? We live a very hot environment in the summer. I did see someone down the road put some black stuff all around the seams all around the house. Help anyone? Thanks.
Greg

Hi & welcome. It may well be seam sealer. After only 2 years I doubt there is much to worry about, but have the dealer check it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
rockncountry101

Thanks! I appreciate your response.
JD
Site Admin

I'd recommend against using black sealants except maybe real EPDM rubber. All of the other black roof sealants I know of will be asphalt based. Mastic type products like "Henry's' or sometimes called "Wet or Dry" will not last very long and will hamper the use of proper sealants, like rubber and acrylic (almost always white) elastomerics.

If the original sealants are already peeling off, I would bet that the metal was not cleaned properly before the sealants was applied.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
rockncountry101

Thanks JD for the info. What would you recommend that I use up there? Or should I even worry about it?
JD
Site Admin

First I need to say that all brand new factory roofs I have seen were installed with butyl caulk tape behind the drip edge and no added caulk or elastomeric sealant. I am not saying that some manufacturers don't add caulk or sealant, just that I haven't seen it and it was not needed on the roofs I have seen. The initial install of butyl and drip edge will usually last at least 5-7 years and maybe 10 years on some homes.

That being said, the reason an elastomeric or tube caulk would peel off after only 2-3 years would be that there was some type of film, dust or oils on the metal. To ensure proper adhesion, I first thoroughly clean the metal with a simple cleaner (Simple Green mixed strong) to remove dirt and grease. Then I do a solvent wash with lacquer thinner or alcohol. Any solvent that removes and won't leave a film will work. If there is a build up of failing sealants, I remove that first with a big grinder and a metal brush.

If the roof edge and drip rail are in good condition, I may only use a polyurethane caulk (Vukem 116) at the top of the drip edge. A good bead, tooled with a flat leading edge can last for many years. When I do use elastomerics, I use Ame's Research sealants. Elasto-Barrier for undercoats and Maximum Stretch for top coats. Sometimes I use Blue Max trowel grade to even out transitions and screws to reduce sharp edges. I'd have to be able to see the roof edges to give a firm recommendation as to which way I would go. Uploading a couple of images would help.

There are other tube caulk and elastomeric products that will work. The products mentioned above are just the products I have narrowed down to as my main products. Under certain conditions, I may use Liquid Roof or Geocel products. I also like Eternabond roof tapes. Amazing stuff.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.