Back Up Generators, what do you have?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JeepsOLot

I just got a generator for hurricane season, and I was wondering what everyone else in the mobile home world is using for emergency power. Here is my purchase:

It's a used Troy-built 5000 Watt generator with electric and pull start that I got at the Habitat for Humanity's Re-Store thrift store. Got it for $200 untested, but, I tested it myself, and it works just fine!! It just needs a starting battery charge.

Jerry
Norm Frechette

my brother gave me this hand me down 20+ year old Honda generator last years after the big storm called "Irene" hit the Connecticut area and after he went out and bought a bigger one for his house. he also made a dolly for it so it can be moved around on wheels. the Honda runs like a Swiss watch but could be a little quieter but i cant complain. if its free, its for me!

added a new breaker in the electrical panel and and outlet on the outside of the mobile home. i haven't had to use it since the installation.

norm
JeepsOLot

Norm Frechette wrote: i haven't had to use it since the installation.

norm
This will probably be me, LOL!!!

How did you hook it up to the breaker box?

Jerry
Greg S

Home Depot has the necessary hardware to hook a generator up to your panel. However you had better have it properly installed and inspected by a licensed electrician to meet code.
If there is a power outage and you have a generator operating that is not properly installed you could feed power back into the grid and electrocute a hydro worker. This would not be a good thing.

Personally I find generators very intrusive noise wise. In addition to properly wiring them they should be housed in a proper sound deadening enclosure so as to not disturb neighbours too much. I find that the inexpensive models are extremely noisy and have stayed with the Honda's to be as quiet as possible.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Norm Frechette

JeepsOLot wrote:
How did you hook it up to the breaker box?

Jerry
due to the rules of the forum regarding electrical hookups, lets just say it was wired in correctly.

https://www.mobilehomerepair.com/phpbb/v ... f=6&t=5628
Greg

I have a 20+ yr.old Wisconsin/Robyn 6.5kw It was rental unit. I try to remember to start it once a year to make sure it still runs, not much of a problem with power outages here.

If I were to buy a new one it would be a Multi quip unit, Easy start, super quiet.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."