Exterior Door Sweeps

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

dd716ted

I live in a 12 year old Mfg Home that has exterior doors made by Premdor.. The white rubber sweeps on the bottom of them has started to deteriorate and needs replacement... PROBLEM: No one locally knows what kid of replacement I need... It appears as though I have to take the door off the hinges to see what is needed and to do the repairs.. if the local HW/HD stores have what I need... The weather is freezing out and I am reluctant to remove any door for any period of time not knowing what I might run into... Other than wait for spring....does anyone know what type of sweep is need for a Premdor?
flcruising

Door sweeps come in several varieties.
2 popular replacement kinds that work for just about any door are either a channel that screws to the very bottom of the door, or a blade that is applied to the bottom face. Both can be cut to fit. The channel type usually accompanies an adjustable height threshold. The blade type is either stick-on, or has screw slots for adjustability.
Are your doors unique so that neither type would work for you? The exact original ones may be hard to find, but that doesn't mean there is no solution.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
alvasin

While letting fresh air into the home is important, controlling when and where air leaves your home is just as important. Air can leak into the home easily through the door without you even opening it. Weatherstripping your home with door sweeps keep the warm air inside and the cold air out during the winter, and leave the cool air in and the hot air out during the summer. A variety of door bottom sweeps are available to fit your needs. Standard door sweeps are heavy-duty and ideal for doors that come across hardwood or tile. Automatic door sweeps are made for floors crossing rugs or carpets. Self-stick door sweeps are for those who want to weatherize their homes even faster. Exterior door sweeps are a good fit for all those who cannot, or prefer not to, make changes to their living space.
External Doors Australia