kitchen cabinets.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

SusanC

I want to change the look of my kitchen cabinets. The frames are good, but the fronts are trashed, being basically paper over fiberboard. I have seen a melamine paint advertised that is supposed to give new life to old cabinets. Has anyone tried this? Also would like suggestions on Countertops. I have a long narrow countertop on the non-sink side of my kitchen that would require custom fitting to replace. It is just formica laminate. I would really like to put some kind of tile on the surface. I feel confident that I could do this myself with adequate instruction. Is it difficult? I want to do it right. thanks.
dedou

Hey Susan,
I'll be you'd get some helpful replies to your question if you post in the Repair section of
the forum! :D
Devon
Greg

Susan, now that you are in the right place, we can hopefully get some ideas for you.

Depending on cabinet sizes you may be able to find new/used doors and just change the fronts. Some here have painted them, but personally I like the looks of real wood.

If the counter top is in good shape you can tile over it with no problems, I've done two.

Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DCDiva

There are many options and all depend on your budget, paint is the cheapest way to go--check with your local paint store--I went to my local Ace store that has a great paint dept and the recommended a really good cabinet paint,the cost was 45 a gallon but it did a lot of cabinets and looks great---or you can replace just the cabinet doors if in really bad shape, many options--one you can look online or local to have cabinet doors that you can have made to your size or a good plywood--like oak or maple is @40 a 4 x 8 sheet you can cut to size and add trim--you can see my post about the kitchen cabinets I added trim/painted-- or if budget allows new cabinets--box stores like Lowes has good prices on cabinets--maybe buy a few every pay check until you have enough--for my dd trailer we bought enough for a 8 ft run and it was @ 350, the counter top was @ 85, we made the corner cabinet.
Good luck,Melissa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
debijo

Giani granite makes a kit that you can do amazing things to your countertops with. I think some Lowes are carrying the kits. They also have a Facebook page with lots of beautiful countertops! That is what I am going to use on mine....Someday!
Greg S

"Trashed" doors are not worth the effort to paint. They will end up looking like trashed painted doors. Paint does not hide their underlying condition or quality. Your best option is to find replacement doors at a Habitat store or recyclers.

As far as the counter top goes it is not difficult to tile, make sure you scuff the old laminate really well with a very course paper in a power sander first or cover it over with 3/4 ply or cement board.
The end result will depend on how detailed you are in placing the tile and finishing the front edge. Wood (oak) makes for a easy and more attractive edge, as in the picture greg posted, as opposed to trying to tile the front edge.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
alvasin

A lot of the other RTA Ready-To-Assemble Cabinet Websites are actually buying their cabinets from other distributors or importers and they don't manufacture or warehouse any of their kitchen cabinets. To cut out the middle man by importing our Ready-To-Assemble RTA kitchen cabinets directly. While it charge the same amount as the other cabinet sites out there, it prefer to pass along the savings to our customers.

External Doors Melbourne