First time MH Renter/Possible Buyer

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JeepsOLot

I'm moving into a MH that a friend owns in Stuart, FL, around April. The agreement is to make the home livable (missing kitchen sink and counter top and master bath toilet), and catch up his prop. taxes. Don't worry, I've been in contact with the county tax collector's office about the taxes, I know what needs to be done. For this, I'll be living in it for 2 years rent free, with the
option to buy. I'm just sick of paying ridiculous rent and living in a crappy part of town! Even if
I decide to buy it, it isn't going to be my permanent residence, as I want/need a bigger place
eventually. This would be an investment.

Anyway, about this MH. It's a Ramada (Ocala, FL) 24'x 40' double wide, 2 BR, 2 Bath, with front porch and two-car carport on the right side, built in July 1981. The roof was redone in 2010 as was the water heater (I was there for that fun job!). The sub floor for the master bath was replaced and tile laid down. My friend had issues with animals getting under the MH (no skirt) and damaging the HVAC duct work, so, he took out the heater/furnace/AC air handler, and put in window AC units. There are ceiling fans (Hunters) in all rooms. There is a washer/dryer set outside in a shed beside the trailer under the car port. It was under renovation by a possible buyer, but, he had to move out of state. All flooring was redone, tile everywhere except the bedrooms, which have wood laminate floors. There was a sliding glass
door from the living room on the porch, but, this was walled in, everything is done inside, but, the outside still needs the siding put up. The new siding is there, just sitting under the car port in boxes.

My plans are to finish the outside where the sliding door was, install skirting, install the
missing toilet in the master bath, put doors on the kitchen cabinets, install new counter tops and
kitchen sink/garbage disposal, rebuilding the access door for the water heater, replacing the
travel trailer-like front door, and figure out what I'm going to do about the missing air handler
and duct work/vents. Also, I want to repaint the second bedroom, it's a ridiculous lime green!

With this age of home, what should I look at closely? When I get electric and water turned on
next week, I'll look at the pipes as well as the outlets. The last time I was there, I turned the
main breaker off as well as turned off the water to the inside.

Here are a few pics:

Jerry Murphy
Greg S

Mobile homes by themselves are not an investment. If you wish to live in it and can get it for free or next to nothing it may be worth investing in but mobile homes like vehicles are a depreciating asset not an investment.
Do the numbers, if you can buy, fix and flip quickly and make a dollar fine but do not expect to get back much if you fix and live in it.

If you are considering turning it into a rental consider the cost of taxes, lot fees and ongoing upkeep.
Your best bet would be a Lonnie Deal (do a internet search).
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
JeepsOLot

I talked to the owner's wife last night, she does the finances for the family. She did the research and found out that the MH was never titled. They got it because they bought the plot of land, and the original owners told them to just take take the trailer with the land. In this area, this development is part brick/mortar houses and double/single wide trailers. This particular trailer was one of the model homes originally put in the development. As far as buying it, I would, in essence, be buying the land that just so happens to have a trailer on it. In this development, there are no lot fees, since you own the land the trailer is on, just $45 per quarter for an HOA fee. Total purchase cost would be paying the taxes, finish the renovation, and $10K. I could probably easily sell it, once it's finished, for $30K, gaining a little profit. Really, I'm just sick of paying rent, and having nothing to show for it in the long run. I do want to live in it for a while, just so I'll know if I'm happy with the area or not. Don't have any idea why I shouldn't, but, I want an out, if need be. That's why I don't want to buy it until after two years.

Thanks for the reply!

Jerry
1987Commodore

It seems like quite a reasonable project. For the hvac, there are package units available that would only require duct work reinstalled. Seems like that would be cheaper to run than window units.
JeepsOLot

^^^ The main problem with that is, the central air handler and AC compressor/heat pump were taken out, it's not just a duct work issue. The PO's said that the center air system was VERY inefficient, even when the ducts were repaired. They also told me that with the two window units running, the electric bill never got above $150 a month, and that was in the South Florida summer.

I was just at the trailer yesterday. It was 84 degrees outside, and the inside temp was 71 degrees. I was pleasantly surprised! Does this show that the MH is insulated pretty well?

Jerry
1987Commodore

With the thin walls, , I would guess that the cooler interior is mostly due to the white exterior. Hopefully the roof is a light color too. That will greatly reduce heat gain. The hvac unit I was referring to is self contained, and would sit on the ground outside the home.I suggested that, because it would save space inside the home, and would supply heat and a/c, for the few times heat would be needed down there. I have central a/c here in NY, and I figure it costs around $2.00 a day in the summer. Mine is an older unit, probably 23 years old, and not as efficient as the newer ones. I have a separate, conventional natural gas furnace. My home is a single wide, with approximately the same square footage as you have.
Greg

Hi & welcome. I do have a couple of concerns, First get EVERYTHING in writing. Second is I would question the owner (and his wife) a little more. If it has the potential to make $20k just by finishing it, why aren't they doing it?

The cent. air/heat unit can be replaced if needed at a later date. Over all the home does not look to be in bad shape (Personally I'm not wild about some of the colors) so I don't think you can get hurt too bad.

Now you just have to beat Joedirt to it, he is looking to move down that way!!

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JeepsOLot

Thanks, guys!

1987Commodore, I've seen the one you're talking about, my soon-to-be next door neighbor has one. Looks like the only things that are either in or under the home, in their case, are the ducts themselves and the registers in the floor. Makes the unit itself easier to service and maintain.

Greg, I've talked to them, especially yesterday. Because of the taxes, they were just going to let it go. They have a house in Maine, and moved there, so, they are pretty removed from this area. They just don't have the time to come down here and do what needs to be done. He is working up a contract, which he actually offered to do before I did. I'm going to send them receipts every time I make a tax payment, it effects them because they still own it. I figure, when it's all said and done, that it will be about $350 per month for the 2 years. Aside from Ghettofabulous , I don't think I can find a better deal to rent and not share walls. It's a win-win for everyone, my family gets a place to stay for at least 2 years, and the owners, after the 2 years, get a home that's livable, and the taxes are caught up, so they can sell it. It really can't be sold with the taxes and no master bath toilet and no kitchen counters or sink.

Jerry
JeepsOLot

I've decided to buy the place. One thing that concerns me is the no title issue with the MH. The guy I.will be getting it from was never given a title for the MH, just the deed for the land. Will this become an issue when I buy the place? I can't remember right off hand, but isn't there such a thing as detitling the MH? I don't understand what's invovled in that process. I just want to make sure I l'm doing everything legal. Is this a problem, or, am I worrying about nothing? Thanks!

Jerry
Greg

These laws very from state to state. Some states issue titles,others consider it "Personal property", some become part of the "Real Estate" once they are on a foundation. I would contact the town Tax collector, they should be able to either give you an answer or point you in the right direction.

Greg
JeepsOLot

As for the titling, the place is deeded to the land, so, I guess it's considered real estate then.

As for the renovation, I started on the kitchen. If you scroll up, you'll see the state of the kitchen as first seen. Well, here are the updated pics as of this weekend'

The three basin sink was $18 at the Habitat for Humanity's Re-Store thrift store, as well as the dishwasher, $50. The microhood came from Faith Farm's thrift store, $25. Both appliances work! I had to buy a new counter top, and cut the opening out for the sink, what a pain that was!! At least the sink didn't fall through the hole I cut, LOL!! That would have been an expensive boo boo!! Hopefully, I can get the sink, dishwasher, and ice maker all plumbed tomorrow, as well as paint my daughter's room "Surf Spray" (light blue) to get rid of the lime green that's there now. Pics to come as I get things done.

Jerry
Greg

Looks good, you are making good progress.

Greg
bobfather99

Nice work shopping around for stuff. Sometimes you get lucky!! Post some pics when you can!!
Tip your bartender.....
JeepsOLot

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the encouragement! This is the first time I've ever done something like this on my own and to this scale. My dad taught me alot when I was living with them, as things needed to be done around the house, I was there to learn and help. Now, it looks like I'll be putting that knowledge to good use!!! Doing more work today and tomorrow, and the move will be this weekend. I'll post pics up as I can.

Jerry
JeepsOLot

Here's an update on the place. The kitchen is almost finished; sink in, faucets are in, dishwasher hooked up, fridge hooked up to water and making ice, and garbage disposal installed.

Here is the finished sink:

I also put in a new manatee mailbox my wife had for 10 years:

I started the skirting project:

We moved in last week, so, we're doing things as we have time. Here's a pic of the place now:

Will update as I do things.

Jerry